Classical field theory, initial and boundary conditions

In summary, the conversation discusses an introductory class on non relativistic classical field theory, specifically the mathematical aspects. The types of differential equations and boundary conditions that are considered in the course are mentioned, leading to the general relationship of a Robin boundary condition. The conversation also mentions an intuitive argument for how this relationship is deduced, and the role of initial value conditions in the equation.
Coffee_
Hello, I am taking an introductory class on non relativistic classical field theory and right now we are doing the more mathematical aspect of things right now. The types of differential equations in the function ##f(\vec{r},t)## that are considered in this course are linear in the following components.

##f##

##\nabla^{2}f##

##\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}##

##\frac{\partial^{2} f}{\partial t^{2}}##

And some function ##g(\vec{r},t)##

Resulting in the heat and wave type of equations.

The boundary conditions were defined as the function ##f(\vec{R},t)## where ##\vec{R}## is bounded to the boundary of the volume that we consider the equation in at any time.

After some vague argument I don't quite understand we arrive at the following general relationship for the boundary function:

##a f(\vec{R},t) + b \vec{n}.\nabla{f}+ h(\vec{R},t) = 0 ##

Where ##\vec{n}## is the normal vector to the boundary sufrace, ##h(\vec{R},t)## is some function which we don't know the characteristics of yet and ##a## and ##b## are just constants.

Can anyone explain me intuitively how that relationship is deduced? I understand there's probably some difficult formal math behind this but the argument made in class was an intuitive one. It was based on the fact that if you know the values at the boundary you can deduce values at any point in the volume using some Taylor series type of reasoning. Anyway I'm hoping if someone could provide a similar argument. Thanks

Bonus: How do initial value conditions ##f(\vec{r},0)## and it's derivative come into play?

Coffee_ said:
Hello, I am taking an introductory class on non relativistic classical field theory and right now we are doing the more mathematical aspect of things right now. <snip>
After some vague argument I don't quite understand we arrive at the following general relationship for the boundary function:
##a f(\vec{R},t) + b \vec{n}.\nabla{f}+ h(\vec{R},t) = 0 ##
<snip>

It's just a general 'Robin boundary condition'. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_boundary_condition

Related to Classical field theory, initial and boundary conditions

1. What is classical field theory?

Classical field theory is a branch of physics that describes the behavior of physical fields, such as electromagnetic or gravitational fields, using classical mechanics and calculus.

2. What are initial conditions in classical field theory?

Initial conditions refer to the values of physical quantities (such as position, velocity, and field strength) at the start of a system's evolution in classical field theory. These values are used to determine the system's behavior over time.

3. What are boundary conditions in classical field theory?

Boundary conditions refer to the values of physical quantities at the boundaries of a system in classical field theory. These values are used to determine how the system interacts with its surroundings and how it evolves over time.

4. How are initial and boundary conditions determined in classical field theory?

Initial and boundary conditions are typically determined by experimental data or by theoretical assumptions based on the nature of the system. They are essential in solving the equations of motion for a classical field and predicting the behavior of the system.

5. What is the significance of initial and boundary conditions in classical field theory?

Initial and boundary conditions play a crucial role in classical field theory as they determine the behavior of a system over time. They allow us to make predictions and understand the dynamics of physical fields in various scenarios, such as in electromagnetism and fluid mechanics.