Vibrational Motion - Calculating Mean Square Displacement

In summary, the question asks to calculate the mean square displacement x2 of a particle from its equilibrium position. The solution utilizes the Hermite polynomials and their recursion relation. The final integral may equal zero if the function is odd, but further calculations are needed to determine the relationship between v, m, kf, and hbar from alpha.
Shiz

Homework Statement

Calculate the mean square displacement x2 of the particle from its
equilibrium position.

Homework Equations

∫ from -[itex]\infty[/itex] to +[itex]\infty[/itex] of Nv2 * Hv(y) * e-y^2 dy

Since y=x/[itex]\alpha[/itex], [itex]\alpha[/itex]dy=dx

yHv = vHv-1 + (1/2)Hv+1

The Attempt at a Solution

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uiqbgzjjlqnnqwk/2014-02-14%2022.23.41.jpg

What is boxed is where I distributed everything. That looked horrible so I applied the recursion relation once. I believe the last integral goes to zero. Integrating an odd function over a symmetrical range would be zero. But then everything would be zero and that's just wrong. There should be a relationship between v and m and kf and hbar from [itex]\alpha[/itex]. I apologize, but please explain the math as simple as possible. The math is the issue, not really the concept.

EDIT: Should I apply the recursion relation once more in the integral as it has yHv?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know that much about Hermite polynomials to judge your calculations but what I know is that they are alternating in being odd and even.In fact even numbered ones are even and odd numbered ones are odd.
Take this into account when calculating the integral!

Equation (50) in this page may help too.

Last edited:

Related to Vibrational Motion - Calculating Mean Square Displacement

1. What is Vibrational Motion?

Vibrational motion is the back and forth movement of an object around a fixed point or equilibrium position. It is a type of periodic motion that occurs in systems with restoring forces, such as a mass attached to a spring.

2. What is Mean Square Displacement?

Mean square displacement is a measure of the average distance that a particle or object moves from its original position over a period of time. It is commonly used to study the movement and diffusion of particles in a system.

3. How is Mean Square Displacement calculated?

To calculate mean square displacement, the displacement of a particle from its original position is squared and averaged over a period of time. This is then repeated for multiple particles in the system and the results are averaged to obtain the mean square displacement value.

4. What is the significance of Mean Square Displacement in Vibrational Motion?

Mean square displacement is a useful tool in studying the behavior of particles in vibrational motion. It can provide information on the diffusion rate, the type of motion (e.g. random or directed), and the size of the particles in the system.

5. How is Mean Square Displacement related to the energy of a system?

The mean square displacement of particles in a system is directly related to the energy of the system. In a system with higher energy, particles will have a larger mean square displacement due to their increased movement and faster diffusion.