Vibrating String of Inifinite Extent

In summary: This means we need to find the values of u at x=0 and the values of ux at x=0. Using the equations for the incident, reflected, and transmitted waves, we can find these values.For part (b), we need to solve the initial value problem for -∞<0<∞ t>0. This means we need to find the general solution for u(x,t) in terms of the incident, reflected, and transmitted waves. This can be done using the principle of superposition, which states that the total solution is the sum of all individual solutions.Finally, for part (c), we need
syj

Homework Statement

Consider a string of infinite extent made up of two homogeneous strings of different densities joined at x=0

In each region utt-c2juxx=0
j=1,2
c1≠c2

we require continuity of u and ux at x=0

suppose at t<0 a wave approaches x=0 from the left.

IE: as t approaches 0 from the negative values

u(x,t) = F(x-c1t) when x<0 t[itex]\leq[/itex]0

and = 0 when x>0 t[itex]\leq[/itex]0

as t increases further, the wave reaches x=0 and gives rise to reflected and transmitted waves.

(a) formulate the appropriate initial values for u at t=0

(b) solve the initial value problem for -∞<0<∞ t>0

(c) identify the incident, reflected, and transmitted waves in your solution and determine the reflection and transmission coefficients for the junction in terms of c1 and c2. Comment on your values in the limit c1[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]c2

Homework Equations

My textbook has a small section on infinite strings but nothing about different densities.

I also need examples in order to understand the theory.

There are no examples :(

The Attempt at a Solution

No attempt.
I need help frm the bottom up.
I need examples.
I cannot understand by just looking at the theory.
If someone can please HELP.

thanks so much guys
you're my heroes.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I understand the importance of providing examples in order to fully understand a theory. I will do my best to explain the problem and provide some examples to help you better understand the concept.

First, let's break down the problem into smaller parts. We have a string of infinite extent, which means it continues on forever in both directions (left and right). This string is made up of two homogeneous strings, which means they have the same properties (such as density) throughout. However, these two strings have different densities and are joined at x=0. This means that at x=0, there is a change in density.

Now, let's look at the equation given: utt-c2juxx=0. This is a wave equation that describes the motion of a wave along the string. The j subscript indicates that there are two regions, j=1 and j=2, which correspond to the two homogeneous strings. The c1 and c2 values are the wave speeds in each region, and since they are not equal, this means that the wave will behave differently in each region.

Next, we are told that we need continuity of u and ux at x=0. This means that the wave must be continuous (smooth) at the junction point (x=0) and its derivative (slope) must also be continuous at that point.

Now, let's move on to the initial conditions. We are given that at t<0, a wave approaches x=0 from the left. This means that at t=0, the wave is already at x=0 and is about to hit the junction point. The equation given for this is u(x,t) = F(x-c1t) when x<0 t\leq0. This is the incident wave, which is the wave that is approaching the junction point from the left.

At the junction point, the incident wave will give rise to reflected and transmitted waves. The reflected wave will bounce back towards the left and the transmitted wave will continue towards the right. At this point, the equation for the reflected wave is u(x,t) = R(x+c1t) when x<0 t>0, and for the transmitted wave, it is u(x,t) = T(x-c2t) when x>0 t>0. R and T are the reflection and transmission coefficients, respectively.

Now, for part (

Related to Vibrating String of Inifinite Extent

1. What is a vibrating string of infinite extent?

A vibrating string of infinite extent is a theoretical model used in physics to study the behavior of a string that is infinitely long. It is often used as a simplified representation of real-world vibrating strings, such as guitar strings or violin strings.

2. How does a vibrating string of infinite extent behave?

A vibrating string of infinite extent behaves as a standing wave, meaning that the ends of the string do not move and there are points along the string that remain stationary while other points vibrate. The shape of the standing wave depends on the frequency and amplitude of the vibration.

3. What factors affect the behavior of a vibrating string of infinite extent?

The behavior of a vibrating string of infinite extent is affected by several factors, including the tension of the string, the mass per unit length of the string, and the length of the string. These factors determine the frequency at which the string will vibrate and the shape of the standing wave.

4. How is the behavior of a vibrating string of infinite extent represented mathematically?

The behavior of a vibrating string of infinite extent is described using the wave equation, which is a second-order partial differential equation. This equation takes into account the factors that affect the behavior of the string and can be solved to determine the shape and frequency of the standing wave.

5. What are some practical applications of studying a vibrating string of infinite extent?

The study of vibrating strings of infinite extent has many practical applications, such as in musical instruments, where the behavior of strings determines the pitch and timbre of the sound produced. It also has applications in engineering and acoustics, as understanding the behavior of vibrating strings can help in the design of structures and systems that involve vibrations.