Vibrating string displacement, partial differential problem

In summary, vibrating string displacement refers to the amplitude or distance of a string from its resting position as it vibrates and can be measured in units of distance. A partial differential problem is a type of mathematical problem used to find an unknown function that satisfies a partial differential equation, commonly used in physics and engineering. The displacement of a vibrating string can be modeled using the wave equation, which takes into account tension, mass, and damping. Studying vibrating string displacement has real-world applications in fields such as acoustics, music, and engineering. Numerical methods, such as finite difference or finite element methods, can be used to solve partial differential problems related to vibrating string displacement by approximating solutions through dividing the string into smaller elements and using numerical
leoflc

Homework Statement

A damped vibrating string of length 1, that satisfies
u_tt = u_xx - ([tex]\beta[/tex])u_t

with the boundary conditions:
u(0,t)=0
u(1,t)=0

initial conditions:

u(x,0)=f(x)
u_t(x,t)=0

solve for u(x,t) if [tex]\beta[/tex]^2 < 4Pi^2

The Attempt at a Solution

if u(x,t)=F(x)G(t)

So by using partial differential equations, I got:

G''+[tex]\beta[/tex]G'+GP^2=0
and
F''+FP^2=0

I solved for F(x) with B.Cs and got:
F(x)=C*Sin(P*x), where C is a const.

when I tried to solve for G(t), I got a long equation with 2 constants in there.
If I try to solve for u(x,t) by using the F(x)G(t), I will have something with three unknow constants.

Am I on the right track?
I'm not sure how/when to apply I.Cs and [tex]\beta[/tex] to solve for u(x,t).

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. Your approach seems to be on the right track. However, there are a few things to consider in order to solve for u(x,t) with the given conditions.

Firstly, you are correct in using the separation of variables method to solve the partial differential equation. By doing this, you have obtained two ordinary differential equations for F(x) and G(t). However, in order to solve for u(x,t), you need to combine these two equations and apply the boundary conditions and initial conditions given. This will help you to determine the constants in your equations and ultimately solve for u(x,t).

Secondly, you have correctly obtained the solution for F(x) as F(x) = C*sin(Px). However, for G(t), you should get G(t) = Ae^(-beta/2)t * cos(Pt) + Be^(-beta/2)t * sin(Pt), where A and B are constants to be determined using the initial conditions.

Lastly, in order to apply the initial conditions, you need to substitute the given values of u(x,0) = f(x) and u_t(x,t) = 0 into the solution for u(x,t) obtained from combining the two equations. This will give you two equations with two unknown constants (A and B) that you can solve for.

I hope this helps you to solve for u(x,t). Good luck with your work!

Related to Vibrating string displacement, partial differential problem

1. What is the definition of a vibrating string displacement?

A vibrating string displacement refers to the amplitude or distance of the string from its resting position as it vibrates in response to external forces or energy. It is typically measured in units of distance, such as meters or centimeters.

2. What is a partial differential problem?

A partial differential problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding an unknown function that satisfies a partial differential equation. This type of problem is commonly used in physics and engineering to model and analyze complex systems.

3. How is the displacement of a vibrating string modeled using partial differential equations?

The displacement of a vibrating string can be modeled using the wave equation, which is a type of partial differential equation. This equation takes into account the tension, mass, and damping of the string to describe its motion over time.

4. What are some real-world applications of studying vibrating string displacement?

Studying vibrating string displacement can have practical applications in fields such as acoustics, music, and engineering. Understanding the behavior of vibrating strings can help in designing musical instruments, optimizing sound systems, and predicting the movement of structures under external forces.

5. How can numerical methods be used to solve partial differential problems related to vibrating string displacement?

Numerical methods, such as finite difference or finite element methods, can be used to approximate solutions to partial differential problems related to vibrating string displacement. These methods involve dividing the string into smaller elements and using numerical algorithms to solve the equations for each element, providing an overall approximation of the solution.