Vibrating a loop with current - will it radiate?

I'm trying to figure out a way to do this experimentally. I'll update with any progress I make.In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether a vibrating wire carrying a DC current can radiate as a radio transmission, specifically at a frequency of 1MHz. The experts agree that the wire will radiate, but not very efficiently, as the acceleration of charges is what causes radiation. They also mention the use of piezos and rotating dipoles as examples of how this concept can be applied practically. There is some disagreement about whether the radiation is caused by the acceleration of the electrons or the magnetic field, and the possibility of conducting an experimental test is mentioned.
Rjay78
Hi, I am new here so hopefully this is the right place to ask a question like this. Forgive me if I have trampled a rule. If I have, please let me know what I should do to ask this question.

If you take a wire with a flowing DC current and vibrate it, can it radiate as a radio transmission? For instance, if you vibrate a conductor carrying a small current, at a frequency of 1MHz, will it radiate a 1MHz transmission that can be received by an antenna?

This is of course different from a 1MHz oscillating current in the wire, which would clearly radiate a 1MHz E & B Field.

I have read and read on this but I cannot seem to get a clear answer (at least one that I can glean from my reading). I would very much appreciate your thoughts on this.

Best Regards,

Rjay

Physics news on Phys.org
In general yes, but the emission will be negligible. There will be some vibration mode that doesn't radiate if you hit it perfectly.

Nearly everything radiates, but unless you have a suitable design it is negligible.

Rjay78 said:
Hi, I am new here so hopefully this is the right place to ask a question like this. Forgive me if I have trampled a rule. If I have, please let me know what I should do to ask this question.

If you take a wire with a flowing DC current and vibrate it, can it radiate as a radio transmission? For instance, if you vibrate a conductor carrying a small current, at a frequency of 1MHz, will it radiate a 1MHz transmission that can be received by an antenna?

This is of course different from a 1MHz oscillating current in the wire, which would clearly radiate a 1MHz E & B Field.

I have read and read on this but I cannot seem to get a clear answer (at least one that I can glean from my reading). I would very much appreciate your thoughts on this.

Best Regards,

Rjay
Welcome to the PF.

Yes, it will radiate, but not very efficiently. Accelerating charges radiate EM, but the less the acceleration, the less the EM radiation launched.

Actually, I may need to amend my answer -- electron drift is pretty small at low currents, so mechanical displacement may be much larger at higher frequencies. Let me do some calcs...

Upon further review...

The mechanical vibrations will be at low audio frequencies, which will not couple well to EM radiation.
Very interesting question, though...

berkeman said:
Actually, I may need to amend my answer -- electron drift is pretty small at low currents, so mechanical displacement may be much larger at higher frequencies.
You displace electrons and protons in the same way. The only radiating part is the changing magnetic field, a higher order effect.

AOMs driven by piezos can vibrate with MHz frequencies easily, you can let a cable vibrate in the same way.

Likes berkeman
A current loop is called a magnetic dipole. You can find approximate formulas for the radiation from a rotating dipole eg.
http://www.physicspages.com/2015/01/20/radiation-from-a-rotating-dipole/
http://www.cv.nrao.edu/course/astr534/Pulsars.html

I don't think it is practical to use it for radio transmission, but I recently saw http://www.darpa.mil/attachments/AMEBAProposersDay_FINAL.PDF (I don't understand how they got those numbers).

Likes mfb
My understanding is that radiation arises from the acceleration of charges. Usually this is the acceleration of the free electrons near the surface of a metal. I also understand that a magnetic pole will radiate if it is accelerated, and in your case I assume you will vibrate the loop mechanically at 1 MHz. But I have not seen proof of this and no one has managed to do the experiment so far as I know.
The difficulty is that if we synthesise the moving magnet by using varying currents in a loop, the radiation effect can also be explained from the acceleration of the electrons.

atyy said:
A current loop is called a magnetic dipole. You can find approximate formulas for the radiation from a rotating dipole eg.
http://www.physicspages.com/2015/01/20/radiation-from-a-rotating-dipole/
http://www.cv.nrao.edu/course/astr534/Pulsars.html

I don't think it is practical to use it for radio transmission, but I recently saw http://www.darpa.mil/attachments/AMEBAProposersDay_FINAL.PDF (I don't understand how they got those numbers).

atyy, Thank you for these sites. This really helps! - Rjay

tech99 said:
My understanding is that radiation arises from the acceleration of charges. Usually this is the acceleration of the free electrons near the surface of a metal. I also understand that a magnetic pole will radiate if it is accelerated, and in your case I assume you will vibrate the loop mechanically at 1 MHz. But I have not seen proof of this and no one has managed to do the experiment so far as I know.
The difficulty is that if we synthesise the moving magnet by using varying currents in a loop, the radiation effect can also be explained from the acceleration of the electrons.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

Yes, it will radiate, but not very efficiently. Accelerating charges radiate EM, but the less the acceleration, the less the EM radiation launched.

Actually, I may need to amend my answer -- electron drift is pretty small at low currents, so mechanical displacement may be much larger at higher frequencies. Let me do some calcs...
Thank you berkeman.

tech99 said:
Thank you tech 99

mfb said:
You displace electrons and protons in the same way. The only radiating part is the changing magnetic field, a higher order effect.

AOMs driven by piezos can vibrate with MHz frequencies easily, you can let a cable vibrate in the same way.
Yes, this is a great way to mechanically move a mirror and change light. I can think of a dozen ways to actuate it but I am struggling with how to detect it. The current is small e.g. pA.

tech99 said:
Hence, the trouble at finding some good literature. Although, I can see from atyy's comments that once I found his links, then there is world of stuff written on this.

mfb said:
In general yes, but the emission will be negligible. There will be some vibration mode that doesn't radiate if you hit it perfectly.

Nearly everything radiates, but unless you have a suitable design it is negligible.
Thank you mfb. -Rjay78

Rjay78 said:
atyy, Thank you for these sites. This really helps! - Rjay
In Post No. 8, the first reference relates to a crossed pair of ordinary eg half wave, dipoles, and is not just a rotating magnetic field. As I have mentioned before, we cannot get pure rotating magnet action by using fluctuating currents, as that involves acceleration of charges.
The second reference relating to pulsars seems to attribute the radiation to charges being accelerated into the centre. So although it possesses powerful magnetism, this is not the source of radiation.

1. What is the principle behind vibrating a loop with current?

The principle behind vibrating a loop with current is based on electromagnetic induction. When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. This magnetic field can interact with other nearby magnetic fields, causing the wire to vibrate or oscillate.

2. How does the vibration of a loop with current result in radiation?

The vibration of a loop with current causes changes in the electric and magnetic fields surrounding it. These changing fields create electromagnetic waves, which can travel through space and are therefore considered radiation.

3. Is the radiation produced by vibrating a loop with current harmful?

The radiation produced by vibrating a loop with current is typically very low frequency and low energy, and therefore not harmful to humans. However, it is important to follow safety guidelines and regulations when working with any type of radiation.

4. Can the direction of the radiation be controlled by changing the direction of current flow in the loop?

Yes, the direction of the radiation can be controlled by changing the direction of current flow in the loop. This is because the direction of the magnetic field created by the current determines the direction of the radiation.

5. Are there any practical applications for vibrating a loop with current?

Yes, there are many practical applications for vibrating a loop with current. This principle is used in many electronic devices, such as antennas, radio transmitters, and speakers. It is also used in medical imaging techniques like MRI machines.