Moving a static electric field

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between electricity and magnetism and how they can be used to create a static electric field or an oscillating electric field. The main question is whether a static DC current loop will radiate when physically moved, and if a loop with a 1KHz AC current will radiate the same as a DC current loop being rotated at 1KHz. The consensus is that any movement or change in the fields will result in some radiated energy, although it may not be efficient. The conversation ends with a humorous remark and a thank you to those who participated.
Rjay7800
Hi Gang,

I have a basic understanding of electricity and magnetism but I am unclear on something. I will be quite general here so please read through my poorly worded questions and try to see what I am really trying to understand.

Assumptions:
An active current loop with DC current emits a static electric field.
When this field is electrically oscillated ie. AC, it can radiate further, hence radio.

So, what happens when a static DC current loop is physically moved? Will it radiate?

If there is a 1KHz AC sine current in the loop, will it radiate the same as if this same loop had a DC current and was rotated at 1KHz?

Can you transmit electric fields by physically moving a static electric field in a loop?

I asked this in several ways, I know. Tell me what you guys think, and why?

I appreciate the help,

- Rjay

Physics news on Phys.org
Aw, cmon! 24 looks and no answers? Surely, one of you bright Physicists can answer this. (Yes, I know, don't call me Shirley) :-)

I consulted a physicist at work today and they thought that it didn't matter how you moved the charge, whether by electromotive force or simply moving the circuit...you would have the same radiated result.

Anyone dispute?

Questions?, Comments?...Snide remarks?

Yes, whatever the cause, as long as you have fields which change in time and space then you will have some radiated energy. It is not very efficient to do it that way but in principle it would radiate.

Thank you DaleSpam!
Best Regards,
Rjay

Hello Rjay,

Thank you for your questions regarding moving a static electric field. I can understand why this may be confusing, as electricity and magnetism can be complex topics. Let me try to provide some clarification for you.

Firstly, it is important to understand that a static electric field is one that does not change over time. This means that it is not oscillating or alternating in any way. In contrast, an AC electric field is one that does change over time, typically in the form of a sine wave. This change in the electric field is what allows it to radiate and be detected as radio waves.

Now, to answer your first question, if a static DC current loop is physically moved, it will indeed radiate. This is because the movement of the charges in the loop creates a changing electric field, which can then radiate as an electromagnetic wave. However, the strength and direction of the radiated field will depend on the specific movement of the loop.

Moving on to your second question, if the same loop had a 1KHz AC current and was rotated at the same frequency, it would indeed radiate the same as a static DC loop being physically moved. This is because the end result is still a changing electric field, regardless of how it is achieved.

As for your final question, it is not possible to physically move a static electric field in a loop and transmit it. This is because a static electric field, by definition, does not change over time. Therefore, it cannot be transmitted as an electromagnetic wave.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding of moving a static electric field. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Keep exploring and learning about electricity and magnetism!

Best,

Related to Moving a static electric field

1. What is a static electric field?

A static electric field is a field of force produced by stationary electric charges. It can be visualized as invisible lines of force that emanate from a charged object and can influence the movement of other charged objects within its vicinity.

2. How do you move a static electric field?

A static electric field can be moved or redirected by changing the position or orientation of the charged object that is producing the field. This can be done by physically moving the charged object or by using external forces such as electric or magnetic fields to manipulate its movement.

3. What are some real-world applications of moving a static electric field?

Moving a static electric field has various practical applications, such as in the design of electrical circuits, motors, generators, and other electronic devices. It is also used in technologies like electrostatic precipitators, which remove particles from industrial exhaust gases, and particle accelerators, which manipulate electric fields to accelerate charged particles.

4. Can moving a static electric field be dangerous?

In most cases, moving a static electric field is not dangerous. However, if the charged object is carrying a high voltage or a large amount of charge, it can pose a risk of electric shock. It is important to handle high voltage equipment carefully and follow safety protocols to prevent any accidents.

5. What factors affect the movement of a static electric field?

The movement of a static electric field is influenced by various factors, including the strength and polarity of the charges, the distance between the charged objects, and the presence of other electric or magnetic fields. The type of material between the charged objects can also affect the movement of the electric field, as some materials are better conductors than others.