Via Motors 100 mpg full sized truck.

In summary, this is a car company that is advertising absurdly high fuel economy ratings. The math behind the ratings is unclear, and the company is likely to fold leaving investors behind.
OmCheeto
Gold Member
Is this an April Fool's joke?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fygtg9qtJpU

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not an April Fool joke, considering that Bob Lutz joined VIA last year after retiring from GM, and these products were announced in Dec 2011. http://www.viamotors.com/category/news/press-releases/

Whether it goes from being a startup to a company that ships real products may be a different question, but not one which interests me enough to do the research to answer it.

Last edited:
OmCheeto said:
Is this an April Fool's joke?
Not a joke, but a trick. As a general rule of thumb, if you see any car mpg rating over about 50 or truck mpg rating over about 30, you should be looking for the trick (as you have). The trick here is simple:

Mpg ratings are essentially meaningless for vehicles not running exclusively on gas, so for a plug-in hybrid they can advertise something absurdly high. The same applied to the 230mpg advertised for the Volt a while back. [edit] Note that for electric power input, the efficiency of batteries to electric motor is on the order of 90% whereas the thermodynamic efficiency of you gas engine is at best 30% -- in highway driving. So if you do a straight joule for joule comparison, any plug-in hybrid should be at least triple the mpg of the closest car in highway driving - probably 5x or more for city driving. It gets worse if you follow a standard that only counts the gasoline burned in the fuel economy equation.

Caveat: I know the gov't was working on making standards that make sense, but I'm not sure what came of that.

[edit]
Just watched the video. Nothing to earth-shattering if you can decipher the marketing BS. The one really nice feature is the 100kW of exportable power from the generator (put it in park and you can use it as a back-up generator for your house...and your 20 closest neighbors).

Last edited:
Estimated $80K...yeah, it's a joke. What's the pay back on that? Can I depreciate that for the next 30 years?

The 100Kw outlet sounds cool until you do the math. At 240 volts that's only 52 amps for 8 households. All the while the truck is gobbling down 10 gallons an hour at $4.00 a gallon. For $120 a day I'm enjoying the pool at the hotel and letting them worry about the mess. The execs and early investors will get paid on the backs of the late/small investors and then they fold leaving the little guys (or taxpayers if they get a grant/loan) with worthless paper. 8(

I cannot confirm whether this is an April Fool's joke or not without further research and evidence. However, it is important to note that achieving 100 mpg in a full sized truck is a significant feat and would require advanced technology and engineering. It is possible that Via Motors has developed a highly efficient hybrid or electric vehicle that is capable of achieving such a high mpg, but more information and testing would be needed to verify this claim. I would be interested in learning more about the technology and methodology behind this achievement before making a conclusion.

Related to Via Motors 100 mpg full sized truck.

What is the Via Motors 100 mpg full sized truck?

The Via Motors 100 mpg full sized truck is an electric hybrid pickup truck that is designed to achieve a fuel efficiency of 100 miles per gallon.

How does the Via Motors 100 mpg full sized truck achieve 100 mpg?

The truck uses a combination of electric and gasoline power to achieve the 100 mpg goal. It has a plug-in electric battery system that can travel up to 40 miles on a single charge, and a gasoline-powered generator that kicks in when the battery is depleted to extend the range of the truck.

What are the specifications of the Via Motors 100 mpg full sized truck?

The truck has a payload capacity of 1,500 pounds and can tow up to 6,000 pounds. It has a range of 400 miles on a full tank of gasoline and a full charge, and can reach a top speed of 100 mph. It also has a regenerative braking system that helps recharge the battery while driving.

Is the Via Motors 100 mpg full sized truck available for purchase?

Yes, the truck is available for purchase directly from Via Motors, as well as through select dealerships. It is currently only available in certain states in the US, but Via Motors plans to expand its availability in the future.

What are the benefits of the Via Motors 100 mpg full sized truck?

The truck offers significant cost savings on fuel, as well as reduced emissions and a lower environmental impact compared to traditional gasoline-powered trucks. It also has the capability and power of a full sized truck, making it a practical and sustainable option for those in need of a pickup truck.