VI Characteristic of Circuit - Solving for X, R1-R6

Therefore, the total resistance is 32 ohms. The V-I characteristic for this circuit is V = 32I. In summary, the V-I characteristic for this circuit is V = 32I, with a total resistance of 32 ohms. This is achieved by associating the characteristics of each sub circuit and considering the voltage source X as a resistor with zero resistance.
abeltyukov

Homework Statement

Hi,

I have the following circuit: http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q208/infinitbelt/ProblemSet3Circuit1.png"

Also, the following is known:
X=60 V
R1= 10 Ω
R2= 20 Ω
R3= 10 Ω
R4=5 Ω
R5=20 Ω
R6 = 5 Ω

Homework Equations

V = IR
y = mx + b

The Attempt at a Solution

How do I go about finding a V-I characteristic of this circuit? I know that the slope of the graph is the resistance but I am confused as to how to start this one. I found the resistance across the source by using circuit reduction. I got that to be 32 ohms. So is the V-I characteristic just V = 32i? or is it just a constant line y = 60? (in this case V is on the y-axis and I is on the x-axis)

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
abeltyukov said:

Homework Statement

Hi,

I have the following circuit: http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q208/infinitbelt/ProblemSet3Circuit1.png"

Also, the following is known:
X=60 V
R1= 10 Ω
R2= 20 Ω
R3= 10 Ω
R4=5 Ω
R5=20 Ω
R6 = 5 Ω

Homework Equations

V = IR
y = mx + b

How do I go about finding a V-I characteristic of this circuit? I know that the slope of the graph is the resistance but I am confused as to how to start this one. I found the resistance across the source by using circuit reduction. I got that to be 32 ohms. So is the V-I characteristic just V = 32i? or is it just a constant line y = 60? (in this case V is on the y-axis and I is on the x-axis)Thanks!

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

You can consider the voltage source X as a resistor with zero resistance. It's characteristic is a line parallel to the I axis, passing through V = 60.
X is in series with R1 and R2, so you can associate their characteristics.
Since this sub circuit is in parallel with R3, you can now associate their characteristics.
The resultant characteristic is associated with R4 and R5 which are in series and finally that characteristic is associated with R6 in parallel.

Last edited by a moderator:

I would first clarify the question and make sure I have all the necessary information to solve for the V-I characteristic of this circuit. Is the goal to find the overall resistance of the circuit or to plot the V-I characteristic graph? If it is to plot the graph, we need to know the value of the voltage source as well as the values of the resistors R1-R6.

Assuming the goal is to plot the V-I characteristic graph, we can use Ohm's law (V = IR) to calculate the voltage drop across each resistor. Using the given values, we can calculate the voltage drop across each resistor as follows:

V1 = (10 Ω)(I)
V2 = (20 Ω)(I)
V3 = (10 Ω)(I)
V4 = (5 Ω)(I)
V5 = (20 Ω)(I)
V6 = (5 Ω)(I)

Next, we can use Kirchoff's Voltage Law (KVL) to find the total voltage across the circuit. This can be done by summing up the voltage drops across each resistor:

Vtotal = V1 + V2 + V3 + V4 + V5 + V6

Substituting the calculated values, we get:

Vtotal = (10 Ω)(I) + (20 Ω)(I) + (10 Ω)(I) + (5 Ω)(I) + (20 Ω)(I) + (5 Ω)(I)
Vtotal = (70 Ω)(I)

Now, we can plot the V-I characteristic graph with voltage (Vtotal) on the y-axis and current (I) on the x-axis. The slope of this graph will be the resistance of the circuit, which we can calculate by rearranging the equation to solve for I:

I = Vtotal / (70 Ω)

Therefore, the slope (resistance) of the V-I characteristic graph will be:

R = 70 Ω

In conclusion, the V-I characteristic of this circuit can be represented by a straight line with a slope of 70 Ω and a y-intercept of 0 (since there is no voltage drop at 0 current). The equation for this line would be y = 70x, where y represents voltage and x represents current. I hope this helps!

Related to VI Characteristic of Circuit - Solving for X, R1-R6

1. What is a VI characteristic of a circuit?

A VI characteristic of a circuit is a graph that shows the relationship between the voltage (V) and current (I) in a circuit. It is used to analyze the behavior of a circuit and determine the values of various components such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors.

2. How do you solve for X in a VI characteristic?

To solve for X in a VI characteristic, you need to use Ohm's Law, which states that V = IR where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance. You will also need to use Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, which states that the sum of the voltage drops in a closed loop circuit is equal to the voltage supply. By using these equations, you can solve for X, which represents the resistance or other unknown component in the circuit.

3. What is the purpose of solving for R1-R6 in a VI characteristic?

Solving for R1-R6 in a VI characteristic allows you to determine the values of individual resistors in a circuit, which is important for designing and troubleshooting circuits. It also helps in understanding the behavior of the circuit and how different components affect each other.

4. Can you use a VI characteristic to solve for other components besides resistors?

Yes, a VI characteristic can be used to solve for other components in a circuit besides resistors. For example, by rearranging Ohm's Law, you can solve for the value of a capacitor or inductor if the voltage and current values are known. Additionally, you can also use the VI characteristic to analyze the behavior of diodes and transistors in a circuit.

5. What are some common tools used to plot a VI characteristic?

Some common tools used to plot a VI characteristic include a multimeter, which measures voltage and current, and a variable power supply, which allows you to control the voltage supply in the circuit. Additionally, you can use a circuit simulation software such as SPICE or Multisim to plot a VI characteristic and analyze the behavior of the circuit without physically constructing it.