Very Simple Inequalities Proof

In summary, to prove the inequality |x+y| ≥ |x|-|y| for all numbers x, y, we can use the fact that |a+b| ≤ |a|+|b| and |-y|=|y|. By writing x=x+y-y, we can substitute it into |x| to get |(x+y)+(-y)| and use the hint to arrive at |x+y|+|-y| ≥ |x|. Pulling |-y| to the right side and applying |-y|=|y|, we obtain |x+y| ≥ |x|-|y|, proving the inequality.
clarence829

Homework Statement

Prove the following inequalities for all numbers x, y.

|x+y| ≥ |x|-|y|

[Hint: Write , and apply , together with the fact that

Homework Equations

These were given as hints in my textbook:

x=x+y-y
|a+b| ≤ |a| + |b|
|-y|=|y|

The Attempt at a Solution

I realize that this is very elementary but this is my first day teach myself calculus and that I am inexperienced using proofs in math. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

1) x=x+y-y
2) |x+y|≤|x|+|y|
3) |-y|=|y|
4) x+y=x+y
5) √(x+y)^2=√(x+y)^2
6) |x+y|=|x+y|
7) |x+y|≤|x|+|y|
8) |x+y|≤|x|+|-y|

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you see |x+y|+|-y|>= ? by the relevant facts you were given?

clarence829 said:

Homework Statement

Prove the following inequalities for all numbers x, y.

|x+y| ≥ |x|-|y|

[Hint: Write , and apply , together with the fact that

Homework Equations

These were given as hints in my textbook:

x=x+y-y
|a+b| ≤ |a| + |b|
|-y|=|y|

The Attempt at a Solution

I realize that this is very elementary but this is my first day teach myself calculus and that I am inexperienced using proofs in math. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

1) x=x+y-y
2) |x+y|≤|x|+|y|
3) |-y|=|y|
4) x+y=x+y
5) √(x+y)^2=√(x+y)^2
6) |x+y|=|x+y|
7) |x+y|≤|x|+|y|
8) |x+y|≤|x|+|-y|

If I could get to |x+y|+|-y|≥ |x| then I'd just have to pull |-y| to the right side of the inequality and apply |-y|=|y| to |-y| and I'd have my proof. The problem is that I'm unfamiliar with the various algebraic rules that apply to absolute value, particularly in inequalities.

What are the rules and steps that will get me from x=x+y-y to ≤|x+y|+|-y≥|x|?

clarence829 said:
If I could get to |x+y|+|-y|≥ |x| then I'd just have to pull ...
To get to |x+y|+|-y|≥ |x|, use |a+b| ≤ |a| + |b| which is equivalent to |a| + |b| ≥ |a+b|.

x+y takes the role of a.

-y takes the role of b.

@SammyS

I see how you're getting your solution and I appreciate the help.

After the question in my textbook (Lang) it says "Hint: Write x=x+y-y, and apply |a+b| ≤ |a|+|b|, together with the fact that |-y|=|y|.

How would one use x=x+y-y in solving this proof?

clarence829 said:
@SammyS

I see how you're getting your solution and I appreciate the help.

After the question in my textbook (Lang) it says "Hint: Write x=x+y-y, and apply |a+b| ≤ |a|+|b|, together with the fact that |-y|=|y|.

How would one use x=x+y-y in solving this proof?

x = x+y-y

|x| = |(x+y)+(-y)| ≤ |(x+y)| + |(-y)| ...

Everything just finally clicked and it all makes sense now. Thanks again for the help.

clarence829 said:
Everything just finally clicked and it all makes sense now. Thanks again for the help.
You're welcome !

Related to Very Simple Inequalities Proof

What is a "Very Simple Inequalities Proof"?

A "Very Simple Inequalities Proof" is a type of mathematical proof that uses basic algebraic techniques to solve and prove inequalities. These proofs are typically used to demonstrate the relationship between two or more quantities, and to show which one is greater, less than, or equal to the other.

What are the steps involved in a "Very Simple Inequalities Proof"?

The steps involved in a "Very Simple Inequalities Proof" typically include identifying the given inequality, manipulating the inequality using basic algebraic techniques such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, and finally, stating and proving the solution.

What is the importance of "Very Simple Inequalities Proof" in mathematics?

"Very Simple Inequalities Proof" is important in mathematics because it allows us to understand and prove relationships between numbers and quantities. These proofs are used to solve various problems in different fields of mathematics, including algebra, geometry, and calculus.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving "Very Simple Inequalities Proof"?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving "Very Simple Inequalities Proof" include making careless errors in calculations, not following the correct order of operations, and not considering all possible cases or scenarios. It is important to double-check your work and think critically about the problem before stating and proving the solution.

Can "Very Simple Inequalities Proof" be used in real-world applications?

Yes, "Very Simple Inequalities Proof" can be used in real-world applications such as finance, economics, and engineering. In these fields, inequalities are often used to model and solve real-world problems, and "Very Simple Inequalities Proof" can help in understanding and proving these relationships.