Very short infrared remote control question

In summary, the commenter says that only about 50% of the warmth we feel from the sun is due to IR. The other 50% is mostly visible and UV light.
SUDOnym
Hello

I asked a question about infrared and UV a while back for which I got some very informative responses:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=676881

This is in a sense a very short follow up question: Is the reason that we don't feel 'heat' from an infrared remote control because the intensity of the signal is very weak or because it is at a frequency of infrared that is not sensed by humans as 'heat'?

Additionally, I came across a comment under the article at:

http://www.wisegeek.com/how-does-infrared-heat-work.htm

The comment was:

Only about 50 percent of the warmth we feel from the sun is due to IR. The other 50 percent is mostly visible and UV.

I don't believe that this is correct - because although the intensity of visible + UV light from the sun is greater than the intensity of infrared, the important point is that it is the amount that these wavelengths are absorved that is important.
It does however raise some questions for me: If the intensity of visible light were high enough, would we feel the same kind of 'heat' as when there is infrared light shone on our skin? (I know that we can get optical lasers that are able to cut through objects due to the amount of energy they deposit in them but could we for example builld an optical laser that deposits just enough energy in the skin that it would feel warm?).
And a related question: UV light in fact does get absorbed by our skin - causing sun tans and (much less desirable!) skin cancer. If we are out on a sunny day, do we feel this UV light as 'heat' on our skin or again is it only the IR in the sun light that causes this sensation?

Thanks

Science news on Phys.org
You don't feel any heat because it is very low intensity.

For the solar spectrum, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Solar_Spectrum.png
You can see from the chart, which is in watts/m^2 per nm of wavelength, that most of the energy is in the visible. Anything that is not reflected from your skin is absorbed ... so from a "visual integration" it looks like about 50% would be from visible and UV.

And yes, if there is enough energy being absorbed, you will feel it as heat.

Likes 1 person
thanks for the information. The only thing I would question about the solar spectrum image you have linked is that this in itself is not enough - as I understand that the amount the skin absorbs is highly wavelength dependent - so to be sure that 50% is due to UV and IR we would also need to know the absorbtion vs wavelength function for the skin... then multiply by the solar spectrum ... and only then is it meaningful to integrate.

I will let you do that research ... you should note that not all IR is absorbed either.

Please report back with your findings!

Oh if only I had the time! Thanks for your help.

Related to Very short infrared remote control question

1. What is a very short infrared remote control?

A very short infrared remote control is a type of remote control that uses infrared signals to communicate with and control electronic devices. It is called "very short" because the infrared signals have a limited range and must be used within close proximity to the device being controlled.

2. How does a very short infrared remote control work?

A very short infrared remote control works by emitting infrared light signals, which are then received by a sensor on the electronic device being controlled. The remote control has buttons or other controls that correspond to specific functions on the device, and when pressed, the remote sends the corresponding infrared signal to the device to perform the desired action.

3. What are the advantages of using a very short infrared remote control?

One advantage of using a very short infrared remote control is its simplicity. It does not require any complicated setup or programming, and can be used right out of the box. It also does not require a direct line of sight, so the device being controlled can be placed in a cabinet or behind furniture. Additionally, infrared signals do not interfere with other electronic devices, making it a reliable method of remote control.

4. Are there any limitations to using a very short infrared remote control?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a very short infrared remote control. As mentioned, the range of the infrared signals is limited, so the remote must be used within a certain distance from the device being controlled. Also, if there are multiple devices in close proximity that use infrared signals, there may be interference and the remote may not work properly.

5. What types of devices can be controlled with a very short infrared remote control?

A very short infrared remote control can be used to control a variety of electronic devices such as TVs, DVD players, stereos, and air conditioners. As long as the device has a sensor that can receive infrared signals, it can be controlled with a very short infrared remote.