Infrared laser - remote control

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of infrared wavelengths in remote controls and how they can be affected by different materials and surfaces. It is explained that infrared signals can bounce off walls and furniture, allowing for control of devices even when the remote is not pointed directly at them. Different materials, such as paper or glass, can also affect the reception of the infrared signal. The conversation also mentions using a camera or camcorder to see what the IR receiver sees.
noblerare
Hey guys, I'm not exactly sure on which forum I should be posting this topic but I decided to post it here. Any mod can move it if deemed necessary.

Anyway, I have been wondering about the infrared wavelengths that a remote control emits when trying to control, say, a TV or VCR/DVD player

I read that the infrared wavelength must follow line-of-sight to the infrared receiver in the device that is being controlled. For example, a infrared laser cannot travel around corners. However, if I point my remote control in the opposite direction, facing my black couch, the device can still be controlled. Is this because of some kind of "bouncing-off" effect? Can someone explain the physics of what is going on?

Also, if a panel of glass is placed over the infrared receiver, will it still pick up the remote control signals? What about paper? What about a tank of water?

The reason I am asking is because I am interested in how infrared wavelengths can be applied and I don't have the means to actually perform these experiments.

If anybody can shine any light on this subject, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Science news on Phys.org
These devices use omnidirectional infrared emitters, not lasers. My DVR has an issue where random IR from my LCD TV emitted into the room overwealms the receiver, making it miss signals from the remote. A piece of paper taped over the receiver blocks enough of this ambient IR that the remote can function.

This isn't S&D material, though...

noblerare said:
Hey guys, I'm not exactly sure on which forum I should be posting this topic but I decided to post it here. Any mod can move it if deemed necessary.

Anyway, I have been wondering about the infrared wavelengths that a remote control emits when trying to control, say, a TV or VCR/DVD player

I read that the infrared wavelength must follow line-of-sight to the infrared receiver in the device that is being controlled. For example, a infrared laser cannot travel around corners. However, if I point my remote control in the opposite direction, facing my black couch, the device can still be controlled. Is this because of some kind of "bouncing-off" effect? Can someone explain the physics of what is going on?

Also, if a panel of glass is placed over the infrared receiver, will it still pick up the remote control signals? What about paper? What about a tank of water?

The reason I am asking is because I am interested in how infrared wavelengths can be applied and I don't have the means to actually perform these experiments.

If anybody can shine any light on this subject, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

If you have a camera or camcorder with an IR mode you can use it to see what your IR receiver sees. The IR signals indeed bounce off walls and furniture, just as if you were shining a flash light.

As an exercise, you might try putting different things against the back of your couch. Some examples that come immediately to mind would be a T shirt, an unfinished board (like a piece of plywood), a finished board (like a folding table or something), a paper towel, etc..

If you get the same results every time, you can conclude that your device is seeing infrared light directly from the omnidirectional bulb. If you get variation on the results, then at least part of the signal your device is receiving being transmitted by reflection.

Related to Infrared laser - remote control

What is an infrared laser?

An infrared laser is a type of laser that emits light in the infrared range of the electromagnetic spectrum. This light is invisible to the human eye but can be detected by specialized sensors.

How does an infrared laser work in remote control?

In remote control devices, an infrared laser is used to transmit signals to the receiver. The laser is modulated with specific patterns of light, which are then decoded by the receiver to carry out the desired action.

What are the advantages of using an infrared laser in remote control?

Infrared lasers have a longer range and are less susceptible to interference compared to other types of remote control technologies. They also have a lower power consumption, making them more energy-efficient.

Are there any limitations to using an infrared laser in remote control?

One limitation of using an infrared laser in remote control is that the signal can be blocked by physical obstacles. Additionally, it requires a direct line of sight between the transmitter and receiver, making it less effective for controlling devices in different rooms.

What are some common applications of infrared laser in remote control?

Infrared lasers are commonly used in remote controls for televisions, home audio systems, and other electronic devices. They are also used in industrial and military applications for remote control of machinery and weapons.