Very Elementary Group Theory Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that the subset of a set with an associative law of composition and identity element, consisting of invertible elements, is a group. This is shown through the verification of associativity, identity element, and existence of inverses, with the only remaining step being to prove closure.
end_game
Hi. I'm new to Group Theory and wanted to see if I had the right train of thought for this problem.

Homework Statement

Let S be a set with an associative law of composition and with an identity element. Prove that the subset of S consisting of invertible elements is a group.

Homework Equations

A group is a set G together with a law of composition that is associative and has an identity element, and such that every element of G has an inverse.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'll denote my subset of S by G.

I know G has the identity element of S as the identity element is invertible.

The associativity for the law of composition is inherited and the existence of inverses we get for free. All that I'm left with is verifying that G has closure. That is for a,b in G, ab is in G.

It's sufficient to show ab is invertible.

But, [tex](ab)(b^{-1}a^{-1})=e[/tex]

where e is the identity element. So [tex]ab[/tex] is invertible and thus is an element of G and G is a group.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure why my tex code isn't working...

Use [ tex] and [ /tex] (without the spaces). Don't use [ latex] and [/ latex].

I think [itex] works too. The problem is the wrong slash.

Thanks. I think I got it now (the tex code that is).

Last edited:

Related to Very Elementary Group Theory Problem

1. What is group theory?

Group theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of groups, which are mathematical structures that consist of a set of elements and a binary operation that combines any two elements to produce a third element. It is a fundamental concept in abstract algebra and has applications in many fields, including physics, chemistry, and cryptography.

2. What is the order of a group?

The order of a group is the number of elements in the group. It is denoted by |G|, where G is the group. The order of a finite group is the number of elements in the group, while the order of an infinite group is infinite.

3. What is a subgroup?

A subgroup is a subset of a group that is itself a group with respect to the same binary operation. In other words, it is a smaller group that is contained within a larger group. Subgroups are important in group theory because they allow us to study the properties of a group by looking at its smaller subgroups.

4. What is the identity element of a group?

The identity element of a group is an element that, when combined with any other element in the group, produces that same element. It is denoted by the symbol e. In other words, for any element a in the group, e * a = a * e = a. The identity element is unique and is an important property of a group.

5. What is the inverse of an element in a group?

The inverse of an element in a group is another element in the group that, when combined with the original element, produces the identity element. It is denoted by a^-1. In other words, for any element a in the group, a * a^-1 = a^-1 * a = e. Every element in a group has an inverse, and it is also an important property of a group.