Very Confused Static Pressure?

However, if the propeller is in a duct, then static pressure can be calculated by taking the total pressure (pt0) and subtracting the dynamic pressure (0.5 * r * pv ^2). In summary, to calculate thrust from a propeller, you need to first calculate the propeller velocity (pv) using the formula pv = pitch * rpm. Then, you can use Bernoulli's equation to calculate the pressure (pt0) and multiply it by the propeller surface area to get the thrust. If the propeller is in a duct, you can also calculate the static pressure by subtracting the dynamic pressure from the total pressure.
Gibbon
Hi, I am trying to calculate as best but simply as i can the (approx) thrust from a propeller..

and my research shows i have to calculate:

prop velocity(pv) = pitch * rpm

with pv i can then use Bernoulli's equation to calulate the pressure and multiply it by the propeller surface area to give me thrust.

So ... pt0 = p0 + .5 * r * pv ^2

that equation should give me thrust.. But. p0 is apparently "Static Pressure".. and i cannot for the life of me work out how to calculate static pressure.

Hope you can help, my maths isn't all upto scratch so be kind! :)

Thanks
Andy

Physics news on Phys.org
In an open airflow situation (no ducting), there is no static pressure.

Hi Andy,

Static pressure is a measure of the pressure exerted by a fluid at rest. In this case, it refers to the pressure of the air surrounding the propeller. To calculate static pressure, you will need to know the density of the air (r) and the velocity of the air (pv) at the location of the propeller.

One way to calculate static pressure is by using the ideal gas law, which states that pressure (P) is equal to the product of density (r), temperature (T), and the gas constant (R). The equation is P = r * R * T. To use this equation, you will need to know the temperature of the air at the location of the propeller.

Another way to calculate static pressure is by using a pitot tube. A pitot tube is a device that measures the difference between the total pressure and the static pressure of a fluid. By using this device, you can directly measure the static pressure of the air at the location of the propeller.

I hope this helps clarify what static pressure is and how to calculate it. Best of luck with your research!

Related to Very Confused Static Pressure?

1. What is "Very Confused Static Pressure"?

"Very Confused Static Pressure" is a term used to describe a state of confusion or uncertainty in the measurement or understanding of static pressure. It can refer to a wide range of situations in which there is a lack of clarity or understanding about the concept of static pressure, including in fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, and other fields.

2. How is "Very Confused Static Pressure" different from regular static pressure?

The main difference between "Very Confused Static Pressure" and regular static pressure is that the former refers to a state of confusion or uncertainty, while the latter is a specific physical quantity that can be measured and calculated. "Very Confused Static Pressure" can also encompass a broader range of issues and misunderstandings, while regular static pressure is a well-defined concept in physics and engineering.

3. What causes "Very Confused Static Pressure"?

"Very Confused Static Pressure" can be caused by a variety of factors, including a lack of understanding or knowledge about the concept of static pressure, confusing or conflicting definitions or equations, incorrect measurements or calculations, or a combination of these and other issues. It can also arise from more complex problems in engineering or scientific research, such as issues with experimental design or data analysis.

4. How can "Very Confused Static Pressure" be resolved?

The best way to resolve "Very Confused Static Pressure" is to address the underlying causes, which may include improving one's understanding of static pressure, using clear and consistent definitions and equations, double-checking measurements and calculations, and seeking guidance or assistance from experts in the field. It may also be helpful to approach the problem from different angles or perspectives, and to thoroughly review and analyze any relevant data or experimental results.

5. Are there any resources available to help understand "Very Confused Static Pressure"?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with understanding "Very Confused Static Pressure." These can include textbooks, online tutorials or courses, peer-reviewed articles, and consultations with experts in the field. It may also be helpful to join online forums or discussion groups to share knowledge and experiences with others who may have encountered similar challenges with static pressure. Ultimately, the most important resource is a dedication to learning and a willingness to seek help when needed.