Vertical Load on a Purlin - find x and y force components

In summary, the 300 lb vertical snow load on a roof purlin supported by a roof rafter can be broken down into a perpendicular component and a parallel component. The perpendicular component can be determined using the formula 300lb*cos(inverseTan(4/12)), while the parallel component can be determined using 300lb*sin(18.43*). A triangle with a slope of 4:12 can be used to visualize and calculate the normal and tangential angles, rather than relying solely on a free body diagram.
KV-1
A roof purlin, supported by a roof rafter must support a 300 lb vertical snow load.
Determine the component of of the snow load as a concentrated load “P” both perpendicular and parallel to the axis of the rafter.

3VDlT0E.png
I read that the perpendicular component of the 300lb force can be figured out by 300lb*cos(inverseTan(4/12)) and the parallel component can be figured out by 300lb*sin(18.43*)

I do not understand why this is so. My attempt at the solution is to draw an FBD, but I suppose I am drawing the wrong one.

1Msd7qJ.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
A free body diagram is nice, but what you really want to do is draw a triangle where the hypotenuse has a slope of 4:12 and then work out the angles normal and tangential to this slope. It's more a matter of geometry (and trigonometry) than anything else.

Related to Vertical Load on a Purlin - find x and y force components

1. What is the purpose of finding the x and y force components for vertical load on a purlin?

The purpose of finding the x and y force components is to understand the amount of force acting on a purlin in both the horizontal and vertical directions. This information is crucial for designing and constructing safe and stable structures.

2. How is the vertical load on a purlin calculated?

The vertical load on a purlin is calculated by multiplying the weight or load acting on the purlin by the distance from the support to the point of application of the load. This can be represented by the equation F = W x d, where F is the vertical load, W is the weight or load, and d is the distance.

3. What is the difference between x and y force components?

The x and y force components represent the horizontal and vertical components of a force, respectively. The x component is the force acting in the horizontal direction, while the y component is the force acting in the vertical direction. These components are important for understanding the overall force acting on a structure.

4. How do you find the x and y force components for a given vertical load on a purlin?

To find the x and y force components, you will need to use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions can help you determine the ratios of the x and y components to the total force, and then you can use the total force and these ratios to calculate the individual x and y components.

5. What factors can affect the x and y force components of a vertical load on a purlin?

The x and y force components can be affected by various factors such as the weight of the load, the angle at which the load is applied, and the distance between the supports. Changes in these factors can alter the distribution of the force and therefore affect the x and y components.