Verifying Solution for cos^4 x in Terms of cos 4x & cos 2x

• Thread starter Chewy0087
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cos Terms
In summary, the conversation discusses a solution for expressing cos^4x in terms of cos 4x and cos 2x, given that cos^x = 0.5(1 + cos 2x). The attempted solution involves grouping everything over a common denominator and graphing to check the work. The correct expression is cos^4x = 5/8 + (cos 2x)/2 + (cos 4x)/8.
Chewy0087

Homework Statement

express cos^4 x in terms of cos 4x and cos 2x given that

cos^ x = 0.5(1 + cos 2x)

The Attempt at a Solution

i did some playing around for a minute and came to this;

cos^4 x = 0.25 + (cos2x)/2 + (cos 4x +1)/8

and thought, great! now i'll just check it on wolfram however i got this;

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=y+=0.25+++(cos2x)/2+++(cos+4x++1)/8

as opposed to

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=cos+^4+x

now, just looking at the graphs it seems okay however none of the alternate forms or expansions are the same, i would love it if someone could just verify that I'm right it's quite an important question!

thanks again

Physics news on Phys.org
your answer is correct

if you group everything over a common denominator it might become more apparent

thanks a lot for that, it was really bugging me :D

Chewy0087 said:
thanks a lot for that, it was really bugging me :D

You can always try to graph as a way to check your work:

[tex]y = \cos ^ 4 x - \left( 0.25 + \frac{\cos (2x)}{2} + \frac{\cos(4x) + 1}{8} \right)[/tex]

to see if it turns out to be the x axis. If it does, then, everything should be fine. :)

Btw, your expression can be further simplified to:

[tex]\cos ^ 4 x = {\color{red}\frac{5}{8}} + \frac{\cos (2x)}{2} + \frac{\cos(4x)}{8}[/tex]

[tex]\cos ^ 4 x = {\color{red}\frac{5}{8}} + \frac{\cos (2x)}{2} + \frac{\cos(4x)}{8}[/tex]

I got
[tex]\cos ^ 4 x = {\color{red}\frac{3}{8}} + \frac{\cos (2x)}{2} + \frac{\cos(4x)}{8}[/tex]

that's a good idea actually, thanks

i'm sure he meant 3/8

Related to Verifying Solution for cos^4 x in Terms of cos 4x & cos 2x

1. How do I verify a solution for cos^4 x in terms of cos 4x and cos 2x?

To verify a solution for cos^4 x in terms of cos 4x and cos 2x, you can use the trigonometric identity cos^4 x = (1/8)(3cos 4x + 4cos 2x + 1). Simply substitute the values of cos 4x and cos 2x into this identity and see if it equals the original solution.

2. Why do we need to verify solutions for trigonometric equations?

We need to verify solutions for trigonometric equations to ensure that the solutions satisfy the original equation. This is important because sometimes equations can have extraneous solutions that do not actually satisfy the equation and need to be eliminated.

3. Can I use other trigonometric identities to verify solutions for cos^4 x in terms of cos 4x and cos 2x?

Yes, there are other trigonometric identities that can be used to verify solutions for cos^4 x in terms of cos 4x and cos 2x, such as cos^4 x = (1/8)(3 + 4cos 2x + cos 4x). It is important to choose the most appropriate identity for the specific solution being verified.

4. Is there a specific method for verifying solutions for cos^4 x in terms of cos 4x and cos 2x?

There is no specific method for verifying solutions for cos^4 x in terms of cos 4x and cos 2x, but it is important to remember to use the correct trigonometric identity and to substitute the values correctly. It can also be helpful to simplify the equation before verifying the solution.

5. How do I know if my solution for cos^4 x in terms of cos 4x and cos 2x is correct?

To know if your solution for cos^4 x in terms of cos 4x and cos 2x is correct, you can substitute the values of cos 4x and cos 2x into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. Additionally, you can use a graphing calculator to graph both sides of the equation and see if they intersect at the same points.