Trig Identity Proof: Show that 4(sin^4x + cos^4x) is Equivalent to cos(4x) + 3

For the original problem, the first step is to use the given hint to rewrite the left side in terms of cosine. In summary, the book provides a hint to solve the equation by rewriting the left side in terms of cosine and using the double angle identity for cosine.
phospho
Show that:

[itex]4(\sin^4x+\cos^4x) \equiv \cos4x + 3[/itex].

Really stuck with this, no idea how to go ahead with it. The book gives a hint: [itex]\sin ^4 x = (\sin ^2 x)^2[/itex] and use [itex]\cos 2x = 1 - 2\sin ^2 x[/itex]

But I don't even understand the hint, where did they get
[itex]\cos 2x = 1 - 2\sin ^2 x[/itex] from?

Physics news on Phys.org
phospho said:
Show that:

Really stuck with this, no idea how to go ahead with it. The book gives a hint: [itex]\sin ^4 x = (\sin ^2 x)^2[/itex] and use [itex]\cos 2x = 1 - 2\sin ^2 x[/itex]

[itex]\cos 2x = 1 - 2\sin ^2 x[/itex] from?
This is one of three double-angle identities for cos(2x).

The other two are
cos(2x) = cos2(x) - sin2(x)
cos(2x) = 2cos2(x) - 1

The 2nd one above and the one you're asking about can be obtained from the first one I showed by using the identity sin2(x) + cos2(x) = 1.

cos2x=1−2sin2x from?
[tex] cos (x + x) = cos^2x - sin^2x = (1 - sin^2x) -sin^2x = 1 - 2sin^2x, [/tex] using the identity [itex] sin^2x +cos^2x =1 [/itex]

To start you off, write the given equation as, [tex] 4((\sin^2x)^2 + (\cos^2x)^2), [/tex] and use the double angle identities to get this solely in terms of [itex] \cos.[/itex]

You can start by using this:
a2+b2=(a+b)2-2ab
This would mean that:
[tex]4(\sin^4x+\cos^4x)=4((sin^2x+cos^2x)^2-2sin^2xcos^2x)[/tex]
Now rest should be easy to solve.

CAF123 said:
To start you off, write the given equation as, [tex] 4((\sin^2x)^2 + (\cos^2x)^2), [/tex] and use the double angle identities to get this solely in terms of [itex] \cos.[/itex]

working :

[itex]4((sin^2x)^2 + (cos^4x) [/itex]
[itex]4((1-cos^2x)^2 + cos^4x))[/itex]
[itex]4(1-2cos^2x + cos^4x + cos^4x) [/itex]
[itex]4(1-2cos^2x + 2cos^4x) [/itex]

Pretty much stuck here.
Pranav-Arora said:
You can start by using this:
a2+b2=(a+b)2-2ab
This would mean that:
[tex]4(\sin^4x+\cos^4x)=4((sin^2x+cos^2x)^2-2sin^2xcos^2x)[/tex]
Now rest should be easy to solve.

continuing from your working: [itex]4(1 - 2sin^2xcos^2x)[/itex], but I don't really know any identities to go from here...

How about doing the angle sum on the RHS: Cos4x= Cos(2x+2x) , and expand?

Bacle2 said:

He doesn't have [itex] cos(4x) [/itex], he has [itex] cos^{4}(x) [/itex], or [itex] (cos(x))^{4} [/itex]

phospho said:
working :

[itex]4((sin^2x)^2 + (cos^2x)^2) [/itex]

Use the following double-angle identities:
sin2(x)=0.5(1-cos(2x))
cos2(x)=0.5(1+cos(2x))

ehild

Last edited:
Bacle2 said:

Clever-Name said:
He doesn't have [itex] cos(4x) [/itex], he has [itex] cos^{4}(x) [/itex], or [itex] (cos(x))^{4} [/itex]

Bacle2 explicitly was referring to the right side of the original identity, which has a cos(4x) term in it.

See below.

phospho said:

Clever-Name said:

Look at the RH side of the original post, it has a Cos(4x)+3.

Edit: Sorry, I did not see Mark44's post, and now I cannot see the 'delete' option.

Last edited:
phospho said:
continuing from your working: [itex]4(1 - 2sin^2xcos^2x)[/itex], but I don't really know any identities to go from here...

Try using these identities:
i)sin(2x)=2sin(x)cos(x)
ii)cos(2x)=1-2sin2x

If you square both the sides of i identity, you may see a way through.

Use what ehild suggested if attempting the way I started (which is just one way to tackle the problem - there are many others).
We have, as suggested in my last post,
[itex] 4((\sin^2x)^2 + (\cos^2x)^2) [/itex]

Now, use the double angle identities that ehild suggested, specifically [itex] \sin^2x = -\frac{1}{2}(\cos2x - 1) [/itex] and [itex] \cos^2x = \frac{1}{2}(cos2x +1) [/itex]

Substitute these into the eqn, expand the brackets and simplify...

Related to Trig Identity Proof: Show that 4(sin^4x + cos^4x) is Equivalent to cos(4x) + 3

1. What is a trig identity proof?

A trig identity proof is a mathematical process used to show that two trigonometric expressions are equivalent. This involves manipulating and simplifying the expressions using known trigonometric identities.

2. What is the purpose of proving trig identities?

The main purpose of proving trig identities is to gain a better understanding of the relationships between different trigonometric functions and to be able to simplify complex trigonometric expressions.

3. How do you approach a trig identity proof?

The first step in approaching a trig identity proof is to carefully analyze the given expression and identify any patterns or relationships between the trigonometric functions. Then, use known trigonometric identities to manipulate the expression and simplify it until it is equivalent to the given expression.

4. What are some commonly used trigonometric identities?

Some commonly used trigonometric identities include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, half angle identities, and sum and difference identities. These identities can be used to simplify and manipulate trigonometric expressions.

5. Can a trig identity proof have multiple solutions?

Yes, a trig identity proof can have multiple solutions. This is because there are often multiple ways to manipulate and simplify a trigonometric expression using different combinations of identities. It is important to check the validity of each solution to ensure that it is equivalent to the given expression.