Verifying identity involving covariant derivative

In summary, the conversation discusses verifying the identity 0 = ∂g_mn / ∂y^p + Γ ^s _pm g_sn + Γ ^r _pn g_mr, which shows that the covariant derivative of the metric tensor is 0. The individual steps of expanding the Christoffel symbols and using the properties of the metric tensor and Christoffel symbols are discussed, leading to the realization that for a type (0,2) tensor, the Christoffel symbols should be subtracted instead of added. The conversation concludes with the acknowledgement of the error and the solution to the problem.
demonelite123
i am trying to verify the following identity:
0 = ∂g_mn / ∂y^p + Γ ^s _pm g_sn + Γ ^r _pn g_mr

where Γ is the christoffel symbol with ^ telling what is the upper index and _ telling what are the two lower indices. g_mn is the metric tensor with 2 lower indices and y^p is the component of y the partial derivative is being taken with respect to. basically this equality shows that the covariant derivative of the metric tensor is 0.

so i expanded the christoffel symbols out according to the definition and the g^sd included in the first christoffel symbol cancels with the g_sn multiplying the first christoffel symbol and i get δ ^d _n where δ is the kronecker delta with upper index d and lower index n. i do something similar for the second christoffel symbol. i use the fact that the metric tensor is symmetric and that the christoffel symbols are symmetric with respect to their lower indices so in the end i get:
0 = 2 (∂g_mn / ∂y^p) after the rest cancel out.

so what i am stuck on is how to show that the right side equals the left side. did i do something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
yes for a type (0,2) tensor i.e. all the indecies downstairs you subtract the Christoffel symbols not add them. You add them when you have upstairs indecies so your equation should be

0 = ∂g_mn / ∂y^p - Γ ^s _pm g_sn - Γ ^r _pn g_mr

I believe that takes care of your problem

sgd37 said:
yes for a type (0,2) tensor i.e. all the indecies downstairs you subtract the Christoffel symbols not add them. You add them when you have upstairs indecies so your equation should be

0 = ∂g_mn / ∂y^p - Γ ^s _pm g_sn - Γ ^r _pn g_mr

I believe that takes care of your problem

ah i see, thanks!

Related to Verifying identity involving covariant derivative

1. What is a covariant derivative?

A covariant derivative is a mathematical concept used in differential geometry and tensor analysis. It is a generalization of the ordinary derivative that takes into account the curvature of a space or manifold. It is often used to define how vector fields change along a curve or surface.

2. How is verifying identity involving covariant derivative different from ordinary derivative?

The main difference is that the covariant derivative takes into account the curvature of a space or manifold, while the ordinary derivative does not. This means that the rules for differentiation, such as the product rule or chain rule, may be different when using the covariant derivative. It is also often expressed in terms of tensors rather than scalar functions.

3. Why is verifying identity involving covariant derivative important in science?

Covariant derivatives are used in many branches of science, including physics and engineering, to describe how quantities change in curved or non-Euclidean spaces. They are essential for understanding the behavior of physical systems, such as in general relativity, where the curvature of spacetime is a key concept.

4. How do you verify an identity involving covariant derivative?

To verify an identity involving covariant derivatives, you will need to use the rules of differentiation and the properties of covariant derivatives. This may involve expanding the derivative using the product rule or chain rule, and simplifying the resulting expression using the properties of covariant derivatives.

5. Are there any applications of verifying identity involving covariant derivative?

Yes, there are many applications of verifying identity involving covariant derivatives in various fields of science. For example, in physics, covariant derivatives are used to describe the behavior of particles in curved spacetime in general relativity. In engineering, they are used to calculate stress and strain tensors in materials with curved surfaces. They are also used in other areas such as computer graphics, robotics, and computational fluid dynamics.