Calculating Covariant Derivative of Riemann Tensor in Riemann Normal Coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of the covariant derivative of the Riemann tensor in Riemann normal coordinates. The terms carrying the Christoffel symbols seem to vanish, which is explained by the fact that Riemann normal coordinates are chosen. However, the Riemann tensor does not necessarily vanish at that point due to its definition in terms of derivatives of the Christoffel symbols.
minits
TL;DR Summary
Covariant derivative of the Riemann tensor evaluated in Riemann normal coordinates
Hello everyone,

in equation 3.86 of this online version of Carroll´s lecture notes on general relativity (https://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/March01/Carroll3/Carroll3.html) the covariant derviative of the Riemann tensor is simply given by the partial derivative, the terms carrying the Christoffel symbols seem to vanish. I assume this results from the note that it is evaluated in Riemann normal coordinates. I know one can choose the coordinate system so that a given Christoffel-symbol vanishes but in this case there are so many to handle so that I am not convinced this is working. Can someone please give me an input on how to make myself clear that it works? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you be more specific. What doesn't seem to work? It looks perfectly fine.

minits said:
Summary:: Covariant derivative of the Riemann tensor evaluated in Riemann normal coordinates

Hello everyone,

in equation 3.86 of this online version of Carroll´s lecture notes on general relativity (https://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/March01/Carroll3/Carroll3.html) the covariant derviative of the Riemann tensor is simply given by the partial derivative, the terms carrying the Christoffel symbols seem to vanish. I assume this results from the note that it is evaluated in Riemann normal coordinates. I know one can choose the coordinate system so that a given Christoffel-symbol vanishes but in this case there are so many to handle so that I am not convinced this is working. Can someone please give me an input on how to make myself clear that it works? Thanks in advance!
Riemann normal coordinates are, by definition, coordinates in which at a specific point ##x_0## the metric is minkowskian and (all) the Christoffel symbols vanish.
Therefore covariant derivatives evaluated at this point ##x_0## are just ordinary derivatives.

Thanks for your answer! I thought in this case the Riemann tensor should vanish as well due to it´s definition in form of products and derivatives of Christoffel symbols but one will probably simply use the argument that tensors are independent of any basis.

minits said:
I thought in this case the Riemann tensor should vanish as well due to it´s definition in form of products and derivatives of Christoffel symbols
The Christoffel symbols vanish at the origin of Riemann normal coordinates, but their derivatives do not vanish at that point. So the Riemann tensor, since it includes derivatives of the Christoffel symbols, does not vanish at that point.

Likes JD_PM and Orodruin
Ah ok thanks for your answer!

1. What is the Riemann tensor and why is it important?

The Riemann tensor is a mathematical object used in the study of curved spaces, specifically in the field of differential geometry. It describes the curvature of a space and is important because it allows us to understand and make predictions about the behavior of objects moving through curved spaces, such as planets orbiting around a star.

2. What are Riemann normal coordinates and why are they useful?

Riemann normal coordinates are a type of coordinate system used to describe points in a curved space. They are useful because they allow us to simplify calculations involving the Riemann tensor, making it easier to study the curvature of a space.

3. How is the covariant derivative of the Riemann tensor calculated in Riemann normal coordinates?

The covariant derivative of the Riemann tensor in Riemann normal coordinates is calculated using a specific formula that takes into account the curvature of the space and the chosen coordinate system. This calculation involves taking partial derivatives and using the Christoffel symbols, which describe the connection between different coordinate systems in a curved space.

4. What is the significance of calculating the covariant derivative of the Riemann tensor?

The covariant derivative of the Riemann tensor is important because it allows us to understand how the curvature of a space changes as we move through it. This is useful in various fields such as general relativity, where the curvature of spacetime is related to the distribution of matter and energy.

5. Can the covariant derivative of the Riemann tensor be calculated in any coordinate system?

Yes, the covariant derivative of the Riemann tensor can be calculated in any coordinate system. However, using Riemann normal coordinates can simplify the calculations and make them more manageable. In other coordinate systems, the calculation may be more complex and involve more terms.