Verifying Equality: \mathcal{Im}[A+B+Te^{2ip}]=0

In summary, if p is a phase, can we choose an overall phase so that ##R## becomes real? Consequently yielding the required equality?
AtoZ
I have an expression
##\mathcal{Im}[RT^*e^{-2ip}]=|T|^2\sin p ##, where ##R=Ae^{ip}+Be^{-ip} ## and ##p ## is a real number.

This ultimately should lead to ##\mathcal{Im}[A+B+Te^{2ip}]=0 ## upto a sign (perhaps if I didn't do a mistake).
There is a condition on ##R ## that it is real, i.e., ##R^*=R ##, but ##A ## and ##B ## are not in general real. Further, ##T## depends on ##A## and ##B ## in such a way that if ##A=0 ##, ##B=0 ## then ##T=0 ##, and ##A\neq B## so the (desired) equality holds. Here is what I do to achieve the desired result:

##\mathcal{Im}[(Ae^{ip}+Be^{-ip})T^*e^{-2ip}-|T|^2e^{ip}]=0 ##

Then I take common ##T^*e^{-ip} ## from the above expression and it leads me to
##\mathcal{Im}[\{(Ae^{2ip}+B)e^{-ip}-Te^{2ip}\}]=0 ##

This leads to ##\mathcal{Im}[Ae^{ip}+Be^{-ip}-Te^{2ip}]=0 ##

This I rewrite as (since ##R=Ae^{ip}+Be^{-ip} ## is real)

##\mathcal{Im}[A+B-Te^{2ip}]=0 ##, This is the result which is correct upto a sign.

I want to know whether I made a mistake? or there is a mistake in what I want to achieve (regarding the plus sign in front of $T$ expression in the desired versus achieved)? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
AtoZ said:
##\mathcal{Im}[(Ae^{ip}+Be^{-ip})T^*e^{-2ip}-|T|^2e^{ip}]=0 ##

Then I take common ##T^*e^{-ip} ## from the above expression and it leads me to
##\mathcal{Im}[\{(Ae^{2ip}+B)e^{-ip}-Te^{2ip}\}]=0 ##
Something went wrong with the exponentials here. In addition you can't just divide by a complex number, the imaginary part might change. As a simple example, ##Im(1)=0## but ##Im(\frac{1}{i}) \neq 0##.
This leads to ##\mathcal{Im}[Ae^{ip}+Be^{-ip}-Te^{2ip}]=0 ##

This I rewrite as (since ##R=Ae^{ip}+Be^{-ip} ## is real)

##\mathcal{Im}[A+B-Te^{2ip}]=0 ##
That doesn't look like a correct mathematical operation. If ##R=Ae^{ip}+Be^{-ip} ## is real and you take the imaginary part of your expression then you should just remove it from the sum, without leaving in A and B.

Likes AtoZ
mfb said:
Something went wrong with the exponentials here. In addition you can't just divide by a complex number, the imaginary part might change. As a simple example, ##Im(1)=0## but ##Im(\frac{1}{i}) \neq 0##.
That doesn't look like a correct mathematical operation. If ##R=Ae^{ip}+Be^{-ip} ## is real and you take the imaginary part of your expression then you should just remove it from the sum, without leaving in A and B.

@mfb Thanks. I will recheck the first part of your answer. Regarding the second part I want to clarify that even if ##R## is real, but ##A## and ##B## need not be real, so I kept ##A## and ##B## inside the ##\mathcal{Im}[..]## is it not allowed then?

AtoZ said:
Regarding the second part I want to clarify that even if ##R## is real, but ##A## and ##B## need not be real, so I kept ##A## and ##B## inside the ##\mathcal{Im}[..]## is it not allowed then?
You can't just randomly decide to "keep something in" in some modified version. As an example, consider ##A=B=i##, ##p=\frac \pi 2##. Then ##R=Ae^{ip}+Be^{-ip} = i^2-i^2 = 0## but ##\mathcal{Im}(A+B)=2##.

Likes AtoZ
mfb said:
You can't just randomly decide to "keep something in" in some modified version. As an example, consider ##A=B=i##, ##p=\frac \pi 2##. Then ##R=Ae^{ip}+Be^{-ip} = i^2-i^2 = 0## but ##\mathcal{Im}(A+B)=2##.
@mfb Thank you. In a physics perspective, if ##p## is a phase, can we choose an overall phase so that ##R## becomes real? Consequently yielding the required equality?

I thought p was some unknown constant. Since when can we choose it? For given A,B there will always be value of p where R is real. For p=0 and p=pi you get opposite imaginary parts and the imaginary part is continuous in p, therefore there must be a zero crossing.

Likes AtoZ
mfb said:
I thought p was some unknown constant. Since when can we choose it? For given A,B there will always be value of p where R is real. For p=0 and p=pi you get opposite imaginary parts and the imaginary part is continuous in p, therefore there must be a zero crossing.
Okay let me reproduce here, which I got.

Since ##Im[z]=\frac{z-\bar{z}}{2i}## (definition), our ##z## is defined as ##z=RT^*e^{-2ip}## since ##R## is real, so we can write
##\frac{R(T^*e^{-2ip}-Te^{2ip})}{2i}-|T|^2sinp=0##
since ##T## is in general complex, we can replace ##T=re^{i\phi}##, with arbitrary ##\phi## and that ##|T|=r##
This leads to
##-\frac{R|T|\left[e^{i(\phi+2p)}-e^{-i(\phi+2p)}\right]}{2i}-|T|^2sinp=0## becase ##r=|T|##,
##Rsin(\phi+2p)+|T|sinp=0##
which can we rewrite as?
##Im[Re^{i(\phi+2p)}+Te^{ip}]=0##, now here the assumption of overall phase could matter that "we choose an overall phase so that $R$ is real, and that leads to the expression which is desired i.e., ##Im[A+B+Te^{2ip}]=0##.

One more thing: We can make ##R## real only in the following case
if we make the replacement ##A=c_1e^{-ip}## and ##B=c_2e^{ip}## then ##R## is real. which essentially means that ##R=c_1+c_2##, but we can rename ##c_1## and ##c_2## as ##A## and ##B## later to match the result with the required equality.
So choosing and overall phase so that ##R## is real, makes sense with this argument? My intuition regarding these phase and stuff is bad, sorry.

I suppose I am quite close but still not exactly there.

Last edited:
AtoZ said:
which can we rewrite as?
How?

If R is real, then ##Im[R+Te^{ip}]=Im[Te^{ip}]##.

Likes AtoZ
mfb said:
How?

If R is real, then ##Im[R+Te^{ip}]=Im[Te^{ip}]##.
because there is a ##sin(\phi+2p)## being multiplied by ##R##. oh wait. am I correct there? yes you are correct then there should be ##Re^{i(\phi+2p)}## not just ##R##

That is not an explanation how you got the following expression. Can you break it down step by step?

Likes AtoZ
mfb said:
That is not an explanation how you got the following expression. Can you break it down step by step?
Okay, I have modified my above answer with more steps. Can you please see whether I made a mistake?

mfb said:
Essentially now the question boils down to whether
##Im[Ae^{i(\phi+2p)}+Be^{i(\phi+2p)}+Te^{ip}]=0## is equal to ##Im[A+B+Te^{2ip}]=0## or not, if equal, then what should be the condition on ##\phi## or ##p## I think.

They are not equal in general, see my example a few posts ago.

They are identical if ϕ+2p is a multiple of 2pi (trivial). They can be identical for other values, that depends on A and B.
AtoZ said:
Okay, I have modified my above answer with more steps.
I don't see more steps at the point I asked about.

Where does all that come from? Who gave you the final expression you want to get? I feel there is some context missing, because in the way you describe it the answer you want to get is simply wrong.

Related to Verifying Equality: \mathcal{Im}[A+B+Te^{2ip}]=0

1) What does the notation [A+B+Te^{2ip}] represent?

The notation [A+B+Te^{2ip}] represents the image of the expression A+B+Te^{2ip}. In other words, it represents all the possible values that this expression can take.

2) What does it mean for the image to be equal to 0?

If the image of an expression is equal to 0, it means that the expression can only take the value of 0. In other words, all the possible values of the expression result in 0.

3) What does the "e" in the expression stand for?

In this context, the "e" stands for Euler's number, which is approximately equal to 2.71828. It is a mathematical constant used in many scientific calculations.

4) What is the significance of the "p" in the expression?

The "p" in the expression represents a variable or parameter. It can take on any value and does not have a specific meaning in this context. It is often used in mathematical equations to represent a variable.

5) How do you verify the equality of the expression A+B+Te^{2ip} to 0?

To verify the equality of the expression A+B+Te^{2ip} to 0, you would need to show that all the possible values of the expression result in 0. This can be done through algebraic manipulation, substitution of values, or using mathematical theorems and properties.