Verifying a solution to Damped SHM

• Thread starter RJLiberator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Damped Shm
In summary, we can verify that Ae^(-βt)cos(ωt) is a possible solution to the given equation by plugging in the first and second derivative and simplifying. In order for the equation to be satisfied, the overall coefficients of sin(ωt) and cos(ωt) must be equal to zero, leading to the values of β = ϒ/2 and (ω_0) = sqrt(ϒ^2/4 + ω^2). Therefore, the solution for β and ω in terms of ϒ and ω_0 is β = ϒ/2 and (ω_0) = sqrt(ϒ^2/4 + ω^2).
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Verify that Ae^(-βt)cos(ωt) is a possible solution to the equation:

d^2(x)/dt^2+ϒdx/dt+(ω_0)^2*x = 0

and find β and ω in terms of ϒ and ω_0.

Homework Equations

N/a, trig identities I suppose.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think this is simply a 'plug and chug' type equation, but I'm having alll sorts of difficulty canceling things.

I first calculated the first and second derivative of the given possible solution.

First derivative = Ae^(-βt)*(-ωsin(ωt))+(-Aβe^(-βt)cos(ωt))
Second derivative = -Ae^(-βt)ω^2cos(ωt)+Aβe^(-βt)ωsin(ωt)+Aβ^2e^(-βt)cos(ωt)+Aβe^(-βt)ωsin(ωt)

I then plugged them into their respective spots into the equation and tried to simplify.
I factored and divided both sides by Ae^(-βt).

I am at:
2βωsin(ωt)+β^2cos(ωt)-ϒ(ωsin(ωt)+βcos(ωt))+(ω_0)^2cos(ωt)-ω^2cos(ωt) = 0

The problem I am having is visualizing how the terms can cancel.
How does a term with ϒ cancel with terms with ω and terms with (ω_0)^2

I have to be missing something.

Physics news on Phys.org
You a free to choose values for β and ω so that you have a solution.

Likes RJLiberator
Ah, that is the trick I was overlooking. I do recall that from my notes. We let ω = 0 such that we are left with

β^2- ϒβ+(ω_0)^2 = 0

Now we let β = ϒ/2 and we KNOW that (ω_0)^2 = ω^2+ϒ^2/4 but since ω^2 = 0 we are left with the following from the above

ϒ^2/4-ϒ^2/2+ϒ^2/4 which indeed equals 0.

So, in short, choose:
ω = 0
β = ϒ/2
and know
(ω_0)^2 = ϒ^2/4 + ω^2

and the first part is solved!

The second part comes directly from the first
β = ϒ/2
(ω_0) = sqrt(ϒ^2/4 + ω^2)

RJLiberator said:
We let ω = 0 such that we are left with

β^2- ϒβ+(ω_0)^2 = 0

Now we let β = ϒ/2 and we KNOW that (ω_0)^2 = ω^2+ϒ^2/4

You had shown the relation that must be satisfied:
2βωsin(ωt)+β^2cos(ωt)-ϒ(ωsin(ωt)+βcos(ωt))+(ω_0)^2cos(ωt)-ω^2cos(ωt) = 0

This must be satisfied for all values of t. The only way this can happen is if the overall coefficient of sin(ωt) is zero and the overall coefficient of cos(ωt) is zero.

This will tell you the values required for both β and ω.

Likes RJLiberator

Related to Verifying a solution to Damped SHM

1. What is damped simple harmonic motion (SHM)?

Damped simple harmonic motion refers to the oscillatory motion of a system that is subject to a resistive or damping force, which causes the amplitude of the motion to decrease over time.

2. How do you verify a solution to damped SHM?

To verify a solution to damped SHM, you can compare the solution to the equation of motion for damped SHM, which is: x(t) = A*e^(-bt)*cos(ωt+φ), where A is the initial amplitude, b is the damping coefficient, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

3. What are the conditions for a solution to be considered a valid solution to damped SHM?

A solution to damped SHM is considered valid if it satisfies the equation of motion and initial conditions, which include the initial position, velocity, and any other relevant parameters such as the damping coefficient or angular frequency.

4. How do you determine the damping coefficient in a damped SHM system?

The damping coefficient in a damped SHM system can be determined by measuring the amplitude of the oscillations at different time intervals and using the equation b = ln(A/A')/t, where A is the initial amplitude and A' is the amplitude at a later time t.

5. Can the damping coefficient be negative in a damped SHM system?

Yes, the damping coefficient can be negative in a damped SHM system, which indicates an underdamped system where the amplitude of the oscillations decreases gradually over time.