The rate at which a damped, driven oscillator does work

In summary, the oscillator will move with the frequency of the driving force, but with a phase difference.
cowey19

Homework Statement

Consider a damped oscillator, with natural frequency ω_naut and damping constant both fixed, that is driven by a force F(t)=F_naut*cos(ωt).

a) Find the rate P(t) at which F(t) does work and show that the average (P)avg over any number of complete cycles is mβω2A2. b) Verify that this is the same as the average rate at which energy is lost to the resistive force. c) Show that as ω is varied, (P)avg is maximum when ω=ω_naut; that is, the resonance of the power occurs at ω=ω_naut (exactly).

Homework Equations

(P)avg= 1/τ ∫ Fv dt
F= F_naut*cos(ωt)
x(t)= A*cos(ωt)
v(t)= -Aωsin(ωt)
ω= √[(ω_naut)2 - β2 ]

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in the equation for F(t) and v(t) in the integral ( P(t) = ∫Fv ) and used u substitution, making cos(ωt) the "u" and -ωsin(ωt)dt the "du".

So I then had ∫(F_naut)Au du

After integrating and plugging cos(ωt) back in for u, I had:

(P)avg = (1/2τ)*(F_naut)A*cos2(ωt), integrated from -τ/2 to τ/2.

This is where I hit a problem. My work doesn't seem like it will be equal to mβω2A2. Because I can't solve this, I can't figure out the next two parts either. Did I make a mathematical error in integrating, or did I set up the integral wrong? Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cowey19 said:

Homework Equations

(P)avg= 1/τ ∫ Fv dt
F= F_naut*cos(ωt)
x(t)= A*cos(ωt)
v(t)= -Aωsin(ωt)
ω= √[(ω_naut)2 - β2 ]

If the oscillator is driven by F=Fo cos(ωt) the oscillator will move with the frequency of the driving force, but with a phase difference, x(t)=A(cosωt+θ)
Both the phase difference θ and the amplitude A depend on the natural frequency and the driving frequency.

ehild

Yes, but how can I incorporate that into my set up?

x(t)=A(cosωt+θ). v(t)= -Aωsin(ωt+θ). Find A and θ in terms of ω_naut, ω and F_naut, and calculate the integral 1/τ ∫ Fv dt.

ehild

Your approach seems to be on the right track, but there are a few issues with your integration. First, the integral should be taken over one complete cycle, not just from -τ/2 to τ/2. This is because we want to find the average rate over one full cycle, not just half of it.

Second, when integrating cos^2(ωt), you should use the trigonometric identity cos^2(ωt) = 1/2 + 1/2*cos(2ωt). This will simplify the integral and give you the correct result of (P)avg = (1/2τ)*(F_naut)^2*A^2.

To verify that this is the same as the average rate at which energy is lost to the resistive force, you can use the equation for power loss due to damping, P_loss = βv^2. Substituting in the expressions for v and ω, you should get P_loss = mβω^2A^2, which is the same as (P)avg.

Finally, to show that (P)avg is maximum when ω=ω_naut, you can take the derivative of (P)avg with respect to ω and set it equal to 0. Solving for ω will give you ω=ω_naut as the maximum. This makes sense intuitively, as at resonance, the driving frequency matches the natural frequency of the oscillator, resulting in maximum energy transfer.

Related to The rate at which a damped, driven oscillator does work

What is a damped, driven oscillator?

A damped, driven oscillator is a physical system that undergoes periodic oscillations due to an external driving force, while also experiencing damping that causes the oscillations to decrease in amplitude over time.

What factors affect the rate at which a damped, driven oscillator does work?

The rate at which a damped, driven oscillator does work is affected by the amplitude of the driving force, the frequency of the driving force, the damping coefficient, and the mass and stiffness of the oscillator.

How is the rate of work calculated for a damped, driven oscillator?

The rate of work for a damped, driven oscillator is calculated using the formula W = F * v, where W is the rate of work, F is the driving force, and v is the velocity of the oscillator.

What happens to the rate of work as the damping coefficient increases?

As the damping coefficient increases, the rate of work for a damped, driven oscillator decreases. This is because the damping force acts against the motion of the oscillator, reducing its velocity and therefore reducing the rate of work.

Can the rate of work for a damped, driven oscillator ever be negative?

No, the rate of work for a damped, driven oscillator cannot be negative. Work is defined as the product of force and displacement, and both of these values are always positive for a damped, driven oscillator. Therefore, the rate of work can only be positive or zero.