Verify that the function is a injective

In summary, the function ##\phi " \mathbb{Z}_{12} \rightarrow \mathbb{Z}_{24}## is given by ##\phi ([a]_{12}) = [2a]_{24}##. To verify that it is an injection, we assume that ##\phi([x]_{12}) = \phi( [y]_{12})## and use the definition of congruence classes to show that ##[x]_{12} = [y]_{12}##. This is done by simplifying the equation ##2x - 2y = 24k## and dividing by 2 to get ##x-y = 12k##, which leads
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

The function is ##\phi " \mathbb{Z}_{12} \rightarrow \mathbb{Z}_{24}##, where the rule is ##\phi ([a]_{12}) = [2a]_{24}##. Verify this is a injection

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let ##[x]_{12} ,[y]_{12} \in \mathbb{Z}_{12}## be arbitrary. Suppose that ##\phi([x]_{12}) = \phi( [y]_{12})## is true, then

##[2x]_{24} = [2y]_{24}## Two congruence classes are equal iff ##2x \equiv 2y ~(\mod 24)##, which is by definition

##2x - 2y = 24k##, where there exists a ##k \in \mathbb{Z}##

Here the difficulty I am facing. Can I just simply let ##k=0##, which we give me ##x=y##? If so, why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:

Homework Statement

The function is ##\phi " \mathbb{Z}_{12} \rightarrow \mathbb{Z}_{24}##, where the rule is ##\phi ([a]_{12}) = [2a]_{24}##. Verify this is a injection

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let ##[x]_{12} ,[y]_{12} \in \mathbb{Z}_{12}## be arbitrary. Suppose that ##\phi([x]_{12}) = \phi( [y]_{12})## is true, then

##[2x]_{24} = [2y]_{24}## Two congruence classes are equal iff ##2x \equiv 2y ~(\mod 24)##, which is by definition

##2x - 2y = 24k##, where there exists a ##k \in \mathbb{Z}##

Here the difficulty I am facing. Can I just simply let ##k=0##, which we give me ##x=y##? If so, why?

No. You would have to prove that k = 0.

Instead, why not simplify ##2x - 2y = 24k##?

No, you can't just let [itex]k = 0[/itex] (try going through your arguments with [itex]x=12[/itex] and [itex]y=0[/itex]). Remember what you are trying to show: You want to show that the congruence classes of [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] are equal, not [itex]x=y[/itex].

Oh, heavens. This was much simpler than I thought it was. If I take ##2x - 2y = 24k## and divide by ##2##, then I get ##x-y = 12k##, which would eventually lead to ##[x]_{12} = [y]_{12}##. Therefore, the function is an injection.

Related to Verify that the function is a injective

1. What is an injective function?

An injective function is a type of mathematical function where every element in the domain maps to a unique element in the range. This means that no two inputs can result in the same output.

2. How can I verify if a function is injective?

To verify if a function is injective, you can use the horizontal line test. This involves drawing horizontal lines at different levels on the graph of the function. If no two lines intersect the graph at more than one point, then the function is injective.

3. What are the properties of an injective function?

There are a few key properties of an injective function. First, every element in the domain must have a unique mapping to an element in the range. Additionally, the function must pass the horizontal line test and have a one-to-one correspondence between its domain and range.

4. Can a function be both injective and surjective?

Yes, a function can be both injective and surjective. This type of function is known as a bijective function. It means that every element in the domain maps to a unique element in the range and every element in the range has a corresponding element in the domain.

5. Why is it important to know if a function is injective?

Knowing if a function is injective is important because it helps us understand its behavior and properties. It also allows us to determine if a function has an inverse, which is useful in solving equations and finding solutions to problems in various fields such as mathematics, science, and engineering.