Verify that F^n is a vector space over F

In summary, Snipez said that in order to verify an axiom, you just have to show that the axiom is satisfied by some part of the definition of the field.
Saladsamurai
I that this is probably another really simple question, but I would like some help learning how one starts a 'verification problem.'

Verify that Fn is a vector space over F.

I know that I just have to show that commutativity and scalar multiplication etc. are satisfied. But I am not used to approaching problems with such generality.

I am thinking that I should first define the elements of Fn; maybe like:

Fn={(x1,...,xn) : xj [itex]\epsilon[/itex] F for j=1,2,...,n}.

Now what? This seems kind of redundant... for commutativity I would just show that

[tex](x_1,x_2,x_3,...,x_n)+(y_1,y_2,y_3,...,y_n)=(x_1+y_1,x_2+y_2,x_3+y_3,...x_n+y_n)=(y_1+x_1,y_2+x_2,y_3+x_3,...,y_n+x_n)[/tex]

Right? Is this the right approach?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks fine to me. Sooner or later you'll realize that the only step that requires any care at all in these axiom verifications is the step where you justify with "this follows from [some property of the reals]".

Yep, that's about it. By definition, Fn consists of n-tuples of elements of F, as you wrote. The addition is defined as stated in the first equality of your last equation. The second equality of that equation holds because F is a field, hence its addition is commutative. And again by the definition of addition of elements in Fn, the last thing you wrote is again [itex] (y_1,y_2,y_3,...,y_n)+(x_1,x_2,x_3,...,x_n) [/itex].

Of course the reason that the proof is not complicated, is that the definition of a vector space is based on that of Rn and R is just a particular field F.

CompuChip said:
Yep, that's about it. By definition, Fn consists of n-tuples of elements of F, as you wrote. The addition is defined as stated in the first equality of your last equation. The second equality of that equation holds because F is a field, hence its addition is commutative. And again by the definition of addition of elements in Fn, the last thing you wrote is again [itex] (y_1,y_2,y_3,...,y_n)+(x_1,x_2,x_3,...,x_n) [/itex].

Of course the reason that the proof is not complicated, is that the definition of a vector space is based on that of Rn and R is just a particular field F.

Okay, this makes sense. I was wondering where the separation of definition and verification occurred. It was in my lack of understanding (or even knowing) the proper definition of a field. But after reading this, I looked it up and this whole verification business seems a whole lot clearer.

Thanks guys :smile:

Verification of "A is B" simply means showing that A satisifies the definition of B.

Snipez said "the only step that requires any care at all in these axiom verifications is the step where you justify with "this follows from [some property of the reals]". What he meant was that you have to use the fact that "some property of the reals" as used here is just a part of the definition of "field".

The fact, for example, that all Cauchy sequences of real numbers converge to a real number is a property of real numbers that is not part of the definition of "field" but is not used in defining a vector space over a field.

Related to Verify that F^n is a vector space over F

1. What is F^n?

F^n is the set of all n-tuples of elements from the field F. For example, if F = R (the set of real numbers) and n = 3, then F^n would be the set of all triplets of real numbers (a,b,c).

2. What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of objects (called vectors) and a set of operations (such as addition and multiplication) that can be performed on these vectors. These operations follow certain rules, such as closure, commutativity, and associativity, making the vector space a well-defined mathematical system.

3. How do you verify that F^n is a vector space over F?

To verify that F^n is a vector space over F, we need to check that the set of n-tuples satisfies the 10 axioms of a vector space. These axioms include properties such as closure, associativity, commutativity, distributivity, and the existence of an additive identity and inverse. If all 10 axioms are satisfied, then we can conclude that F^n is indeed a vector space over F.

4. What is the significance of F^n being a vector space over F?

The fact that F^n is a vector space over F is significant because it means that the set of n-tuples has a well-defined mathematical structure that follows certain rules and properties. This allows us to perform operations on these n-tuples and make meaningful mathematical statements and calculations.

5. Can you give an example of a vector space over F?

One example of a vector space over F is the set of 2-dimensional vectors (x,y) where x and y are real numbers, and F is the field of real numbers. The operations of vector addition and scalar multiplication can be performed on these vectors, and they satisfy all 10 axioms of a vector space, making it a valid example of F^n as a vector space over F.