Verify that d/dx(ln x)-1/2 using theorem 7

• MHB
  • Thread starter karush
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary: To be honest, I became a bit lost also.In summary, Theorem 7 states that if f is a one-to-one differentiable function with inverse $f^{-1}$ and $f'(f^{-1}(a))$ then the inverse function is differtiable at a.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
Verify that $\dfrac{d}{dx}\ln(x)=\dfrac{1}{x}$ <br>
by applying Theorem 7<br>
Theorem 7 states that: If f is a one-to-one differentiable function with inverse $f^{-1}$ and $f'(f^{-1}(a))$ then the inverse function is differtiable at a and <br>
$$\dfrac{dy}{dx}=\dfrac{1}{\dfrac{dx}{dy}}$$<br>
then<br>
$$f^{-1}(y)=\dfrac{dy}{dx}=1$$<br>
therefore <br>
$$\dfrac{dy}{dx}<br>
=\dfrac{1}{f'(x)}<br>
=\dfrac{1}{\dfrac{dx}{dy}}$$<br>
so<br>
$$\displaystyle f^{-1}{\dfrac{1}{x}}<br>
=\dfrac{1}{f'\left(f^{-1}<br>
\left(\dfrac{1}{x}\right)\right)}<br>
=\dfrac{1}{f'(x)}=\dfrac{1}{x}$$<br>
<br>
ok I kinda got lost on this review question

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To be honest, I became a bit lost also.A stab at what I think you’re looking for ...

$y = \ln{x} \implies x = e^y$

$\dfrac{d}{dy}\left[x=e^y \right] \implies \dfrac{dx}{dy} = e^y \implies \dfrac{1}{\frac{dx}{dy}} = \dfrac{1}{e^y} = \dfrac{1}{x} = \dfrac{dy}{dx}$

... if not, just ignore.

probably... I didn't get the theorem to well

not sure why the <br> shows up it didn't earlierwell our next stuff is Integration by Parts which I have some a little

Mahalo for the help...

karush said:
Verify that $\dfrac{d}{dx}\ln(x)=\dfrac{1}{x}$ <br>
by applying Theorem 7<br>
Theorem 7 states that: If f is a one-to-one differentiable function with inverse $f^{-1}$ and $f'(f^{-1}(a))$ then the inverse function is differtiable at a and <br>
$$\dfrac{dy}{dx}=\dfrac{1}{\dfrac{dx}{dy}}$$<br>
then<br>
$$f^{-1}(y)=\dfrac{dy}{dx}=1$$<br>
This simply makes no sense! The inverse function of a given function has nothing to do with the derivative! In addition "$f^{-1}(y)$" says that you are going to give a function depending on y but $\dfrac{dy}{dx}$ is a function of x, not y.

I think what you meant to say was that "if $y= f(x)= ln(x)$ then $x= f^{-1}(y)= e^y$". NOW you can say that $\frac{dx}{dy}= e^y$ so that $\frac{dy}{dx}= \frac{1}{\frac{dx}{dy}}= \frac{1}{e^y}= \frac{1}{e^{ln(x)}}= \frac{1}{x}$ because, of course, $e^{ln(x)}= x$.

therefore <br>
$$\dfrac{dy}{dx}<br>
=\dfrac{1}{f'(x)}<br>
=\dfrac{1}{\dfrac{dx}{dy}}$$<br>
so<br>
$$\displaystyle f^{-1}{\dfrac{1}{x}}<br>
=\dfrac{1}{f'\left(f^{-1}<br>
\left(\dfrac{1}{x}\right)\right)}<br>
=\dfrac{1}{f'(x)}=\dfrac{1}{x}$$<br>
<br>
ok I kinda got lost on this review question

Related to Verify that d/dx(ln x)-1/2 using theorem 7

1. What is the theorem 7 used for in this context?

Theorem 7, also known as the logarithmic differentiation theorem, is used to find the derivative of a function that is in the form of ln(x).

2. How do you use theorem 7 to verify the derivative of ln(x)-1/2?

To verify the derivative of ln(x)-1/2 using theorem 7, you need to first rewrite the function as ln(x^1/2). Then, using the power rule and the chain rule, you can find the derivative to be 1/x.

3. Can you explain the steps involved in verifying the derivative using theorem 7?

The steps involved in verifying the derivative using theorem 7 are as follows: 1) Rewrite the function in the form of ln(x^a), where a is any real number. 2) Apply the power rule to find the derivative of ln(x^a), which is a/x. 3) Use the chain rule to find the derivative of ln(x^a) with respect to x, which is a/x^2. 4) Substitute the original value of a to get the final derivative.

4. Are there any limitations to using theorem 7 to verify the derivative?

Yes, theorem 7 can only be used to find the derivative of functions in the form of ln(x). It cannot be used for other types of functions.

5. Can you provide an example of using theorem 7 to verify the derivative of a function?

Sure, for example, to verify the derivative of ln(x^2)-1/2 using theorem 7, we can rewrite the function as ln(x^(2^1/2)). Then, applying the power rule and the chain rule, we get the derivative to be 2x/x^2, which simplifies to 2/x.