Verify Infinite Series: Proving Cosine Sum and Integrals

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the identity for cosines of double angles and using it to verify a summation and integral problem. The first part of the problem is solved using induction and the second part can be verified by substituting the identity and proving a limit.
jj1986

Homework Statement

Show that for all integers n [tex]\geq[/tex] 1,
cos(2x) + cos(4x) + ... + cos(2nx) = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex] ([tex]\frac{sin((2n+1)x)}{sin(x)}[/tex]-1)

Use this to verify that
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(\int_{0}^{\pi}[/tex] x([tex]\pi[/tex]-x)cos(2nx)dx) =

[tex]\frac{-1}{2}\int_{0}^{\pi}[/tex] x([tex]\pi[/tex]-x)dx)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I proved the first part of this problem using induction, however I don't see how I can use that to verify the second part. Maybe I can bring the summation into the integral and get the sum of cos(2nx), but I still don't see how that would give me what I need to prove. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you interchange the sum with the integral, you can substitute the identity you have proved.
Then the second part (with the - 1) will give you the answer you want, you will just need to prove that
[tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac12 \int_0^\pi x (\pi - x) \frac{\sin((2n+1)x)}{\sin(x)}\, dx = 0[/tex]

Related to Verify Infinite Series: Proving Cosine Sum and Integrals

What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a sum of infinitely many terms. It can be written in the form of Σan, where "a" represents the terms of the series and "n" represents the index of the terms.

How do you verify an infinite series?

To verify an infinite series, you can use various tests such as the comparison test, ratio test, integral test, or the root test. These tests check for the convergence or divergence of the series.

What does it mean for an infinite series to converge?

If an infinite series converges, it means that the sum of its terms approaches a finite number as the number of terms increases. In other words, the series has a finite limit.

What does it mean for an infinite series to diverge?

If an infinite series diverges, it means that the sum of its terms does not approach a finite number as the number of terms increases. In other words, the series does not have a finite limit.

Why is it important to verify infinite series?

Verifying infinite series is important because it helps us determine whether a series is convergent or divergent. This information is crucial in many areas of mathematics and science, such as calculus, statistics, and physics.