Vendor for telescope mirror cells?

In summary: That should hold the mirror in place without requiring any screws. In summary, the cell might be a good option, but it's important to check for distortions and correct them if they exist.
JeffKoch
Any suggestions on vendors for good, well-designed reflecting telescope mirror holding cells, in the ~ 8" diameter range? I've had enough grief from the very poorly-designed cell that holds the primary in my 7" Mak-Newtonian, and am looking to toss it and replace it with something better. Tube diameter is 8" more or less.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
No idea. Have you tried an amateur astronomy specific forum? I'm a member of cloudynights.com myself.

Ah, hadn't seen that forum - looks pretty active too, I'll dig around.

Looks nice, the multiple pad mount is what I'm looking for, my cell is just a metal backing ring that leaves the most of the mirror unsupported, with three side set-screws to keep it in place. The three screws create obvious surface distortions in a high-mag star test, and I'm sure the unsupported part adds some spherical aberration though it's hard to tell. But unfortunately those cells are for large RC mirrors.

JeffKoch said:
Looks nice, the multiple pad mount is what I'm looking for, my cell is just a metal backing ring that leaves the most of the mirror unsupported, with three side set-screws to keep it in place. The three screws create obvious surface distortions in a high-mag star test, and I'm sure the unsupported part adds some spherical aberration though it's hard to tell. But unfortunately those cells are for large RC mirrors.

The 3 clips that hold your mirror might have been tightened down for shipping. Before I did anything, I'd loosen those three clips. Most have phillips head screws. The clips don't need to hold the mirror tightly, just back them off a half turn each. Overtightening those clips is a common problem (mistake) in newts.

I've played with them, they're rubber-tipped allen-head set screws that keep the mirror from moving around - don't remember if they were especially tight when I received the scope 10+ years ago, but basically I can minimize the surface distortions by backing them out slightly but then the mirror moves after I collimate it. This makes it impossible to keep the scope aligned, and introduces astigmatism that is much worse than the small distortions due to the set screws. The distortions are obviously most noticeable looking at planets with high magnification, which is exactly where the scope is supposed to do it's best work - only solution I've found, short of tossing the mount and starting over, is to aperture the mirror down slightly with a cardboard annulus.

http://lefevre.darkhorizons.org/lxd55/clipectomy.htm" discusses those clips as well. Most mirrors don't rattle around that much when the clips are loosened. If so, you might want to dab a few blobs of silicone onto the pads underneath the primary.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Vendor for telescope mirror cells?

1. What materials are typically used to construct a telescope mirror cell?

The most commonly used materials for telescope mirror cells are aluminum, steel, and carbon fiber. These materials are lightweight, strong, and have good thermal conductivity, making them ideal for supporting and maintaining the shape of the telescope mirror.

2. Are telescope mirror cells customizable?

Yes, many vendors offer customizable options for telescope mirror cells. Customers can choose the size, shape, and materials of the cell to fit their specific telescope and needs.

3. What is the typical cost of a telescope mirror cell?

The cost of a telescope mirror cell can vary greatly depending on the size, materials, and customization options. On average, a basic telescope mirror cell can cost anywhere from $100 to $500, while more advanced cells with custom features can cost over $1000.

4. How do I know which size telescope mirror cell I need?

The size of the telescope mirror cell needed will depend on the size and weight of the telescope mirror. It is important to consult with the vendor or manufacturer to determine the appropriate size for your specific telescope.

5. Can I purchase a telescope mirror cell separately from the telescope?

Yes, many vendors offer telescope mirror cells as separate products. This allows customers to upgrade or replace their existing cell without having to purchase a new telescope. However, it is important to ensure that the cell is compatible with the telescope before making a purchase.