Velocity vs. Time Graphical Interpretation

In summary, the questions involve determining velocity, displacement, and acceleration during specific time periods and finding the total displacement using graphical methods.
1337Montage

Homework Statement

2uz7ced.jpg

1) Time = 0 to 2.5s
a. What is the velocity during this time?
b. Determine the displacement traveled during this time.
c. What is the acceleration during this time?

2) Time = 5.5 to 10s
a. What is the velocity during this time?
b. Determine the displacement traveled during this time.
c. What is the acceleration during this time?

3) Find the total displacement traveled during the five different phases of motion. (Use Graphical Methods)
- I shaded the regions with a pencil for the displacement that is needed. There are supposed to be 4 triangles and one rectangle.

Homework Equations

I think:
v=d/t
a=vt
Under General: https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=905663&postcount=2

The Attempt at a Solution

I finished all of the other questions, but the ones I listed above are the only ones I need which I find confusing and don't have any idea on how to start it off. Please help me on any of the answers to any question that you know. Help is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Graphically, the velocity you can pick off the graph (it is variable during the accelerating phases); the acceleration , since a =delta v/delta t, you should be able to identify using slopes; and displacement, as you noted, is the shaded area during the given time periods, paying attention to positive and negative areas.

Related to Velocity vs. Time Graphical Interpretation

1. What is a velocity vs. time graph?

A velocity vs. time graph is a graphical representation of the relationship between an object's velocity and time. It shows how an object's velocity changes over a specific period of time.

2. How is velocity represented on a velocity vs. time graph?

Velocity is represented on the y-axis of a velocity vs. time graph. The units for velocity are typically meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

3. What does the slope of a velocity vs. time graph represent?

The slope of a velocity vs. time graph represents the object's acceleration. A steeper slope indicates a greater acceleration, while a flatter slope indicates a smaller acceleration.

4. How can you determine an object's displacement from a velocity vs. time graph?

The displacement of an object can be determined by finding the area under the velocity vs. time graph. This can be done by breaking the graph into smaller sections and calculating the area of each section, then adding them together to find the total displacement.

5. Can a velocity vs. time graph show negative velocity?

Yes, a velocity vs. time graph can show negative velocity. A negative velocity indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction on the graph. The magnitude of the negative velocity is the same as the positive velocity, but the direction is opposite.