Zero velocity for a time interval, what about acceleration?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between velocity and acceleration for a particle moving in a straight line. It is stated that if the velocity is zero for a time interval, the acceleration is also zero at any instant within the time interval. However, there is some confusion about the definition of velocity and its implications on displacement. The conversation concludes by suggesting the use of a position-vs-time graph to visualize the concept of instantaneous and average velocity.
Monsterboy
Homework Statement
For a particle moving in a straight line, if the velocity is zero for a time interval, the acceleration is zero at any instant within the time interval.
Relevant Equations
v = dx/dt
a = dv/dt
For a particle moving in a straight line, if the velocity is zero for a time interval, the acceleration is zero at any instant within the time interval.

I am told the above statement is true.

If I look at the equations

v = dx/dt
a = dv/dt

It looks like if the velocity is zero for a time interval, acceleration is also zero, but I am unable to visualize this in a long time interval.

Suppose a particle moves in the positive x direction from x1 to x2 and returns back to x1 taking a time interval of t2 - t1.

It's displacement is zero, so it's velocity will be zero for the time interval, right ?

But is the acceleration zero at any instant within the time interval ? For example, if we throw an object vertically upwards, it reaches some height and then falls back to the same initial height, so it's total displacement is zero because it comes back to the same point, but acceleration at any instant within the time interval is not zero, it is g. So, is the statement wrong ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Monsterboy said:
Suppose a particle moves
This is in contradiction with 'velocity is zero'
(because ##dx## is non-zero, and ##v = {dx\over dt}##

##\ ##

BvU said:
This is in contradiction with 'velocity is zero'
(because ##dx## is non-zero, and ##v = {dx\over dt}##

##\ ##
Yea, but the question says velocity is zero "for a time interval", so what does it mean ?
Does it mean the particle moved somewhere and came back to the same position within the time interval or does it mean the particle never moved ?

Monsterboy said:
Yea, but the question says velocity is zero "for a time interval", so what does it mean ?
Does it mean the particle moved somewhere and came back to the same position within the time interval or does it mean the particle never moved ?
Supposedly that ##v(t) = 0## for any ##t## inside the time interval.

Likes Monsterboy
Monsterboy said:
velocity is zero "for a time interval", so what does it mean ?
It means that at all times within the interval ##v \equiv {dx\over dt} = 0##

Likes Monsterboy
Monsterboy said:
Homework Statement:: For a particle moving in a straight line, if the velocity is zero for a time interval, the acceleration is zero at any instant within the time interval.
Relevant Equations:: v = dx/dt
a = dv/dt

I am told the above statement is true.

If I look at the equations

v = dx/dt
a = dv/dt

It looks like if the velocity is zero for a time interval, acceleration is also zero, but I am unable to visualize this in a long time interval.

Suppose a particle moves in the positive x direction from x1 to x2 and returns back to x1 taking a time interval of t2 - t1.

It's displacement is zero, so it's velocity will be zero for the time interval, right ?

But is the acceleration zero at any instant within the time interval ? For example, if we throw an object vertically upwards, it reaches some height and then falls back to the same initial height, so it's total displacement is zero because it comes back to the same point, but acceleration at any instant within the time interval is not zero, it is g. So, is the statement wrong ?
"For a particle moving in a straight line, if the velocity is zero for a time interval..."
means (in my opinion) that the velocity is zero during a finite time-interval (e.g. v=0 from t=5s to t=7s).

But it the particle is stationary during a finite time-interval, the reference to 'moving in a straight line' is not applicable (during the time-interval). So the original statement seems badly written.

Likes Monsterboy
I leave my house in the morning and return to it every evening, but my car has been stopped for the times red lights have taken, accelerated, braked and moved at many different speeds.
Zero total displacement does not exclude velocity and acceleration.

The way I read the statement:
For a particle moving in a straight line between point A and point C, if the velocity is zero for a time interval the particle remains at point B, the acceleration is zero at any instant within the time interval the particle remains at point B.

Also:
For a particle moving in a straight line between point A and point D, if the velocity is constant for a time interval between the points B and C, the acceleration is zero at any instant within the time interval between the points B and C.

Monsterboy said:

There needs to be a clarification.

Velocity should mean "instantaneous-velocity"
(which is defined at each instant of time)
whose magnitude is measured at each time by an idealized speedometer.

This should be distinguished from "average-velocity"
(which is defined for an interval of time, or a function of two times)
which is the constant velocity needed to travel between the endpoints in the same amount of time.
[Rant: it annoys me that "average-velocity" seems to be the typical textbook introduction of "velocity", possibly modeling the mathematics use of a sequence of the secant lines to get to the tangent line.
For physics, how does one have an average of something not yet defined?]

update:

Since there is likely
too much dependence on "technical sounding terms" (lacking or not using their proper technical definition)
and "formulas" (based on such "terms"),
I think
a position-vs-time graph would help visualize
instantaneous-velocity at an instant as the slope of the tangent line,
and
average-velocity between two times as the slope of the secant line, which connects the events [itex] (t_1, x_1) [/itex] and [itex] (t_2, x_2) [/itex].

Last edited:
Likes Monsterboy and bob012345

1. What is zero velocity for a time interval?

Zero velocity for a time interval refers to a situation where an object's velocity remains constant at zero for a specific period of time. This means that the object is not moving or has no change in its position during that time interval.

2. Can an object have zero velocity but still have acceleration?

Yes, an object can have zero velocity and still have acceleration. This is because acceleration is a measure of the rate of change of velocity, not the velocity itself. So, even if the object's velocity is zero, it can still have a non-zero acceleration if its velocity is changing over time.

3. How is zero velocity for a time interval represented graphically?

Zero velocity for a time interval is represented graphically by a horizontal line on a position-time graph. This indicates that the object's position remains constant over time, resulting in a velocity of zero.

4. What causes an object to have zero velocity for a time interval?

An object can have zero velocity for a time interval due to various reasons. It could be because the object is at rest, or it could be because the object is moving with a constant velocity in a straight line. In both cases, the object's velocity remains constant at zero for a specific period of time.

5. How does zero velocity for a time interval affect an object's motion?

Zero velocity for a time interval does not affect an object's motion, as it simply means that the object is not moving or has no change in its position during that time interval. However, if the object's velocity remains zero for an extended period of time, it could indicate that the object is at rest or moving with a constant velocity, which can affect its overall motion.