Velocity(t), of rod moving in B-field

In summary, the velocity of a rod moving in a magnetic field can be calculated using the formula v = B*l*u, where B is the magnetic field strength, l is the length of the rod, and u is the speed of the rod. The magnetic field affects the velocity of the rod by exerting a force on the charged particles within the rod, causing an increase in velocity. Factors such as the strength of the magnetic field, length of the rod, and speed of the rod can all affect its velocity. The velocity of the rod can change over time as the magnetic field strength or speed of the rod changes. It can be measured using methods such as a speedometer or calculating it using the formula v = B*l*u.
serverxeon
Here's the question

28k1277.png

-------------------

Here's my attempt using energy approach.

20p3i37.png

However, I'm kinda stuck. how do I solve this DE to get the expression for v(t)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it will be much simpler to just apply Newton's second law: ##F = ma = m\dot{v}##

[You could take the derivative with repsect to t of both sides of your last equation and get a differential equation for v(t), but it will be the same as just setting up F = ma.]

Related to Velocity(t), of rod moving in B-field

1. What is the formula for calculating the velocity of a rod moving in a magnetic field?

The formula for calculating the velocity of a rod moving in a magnetic field is v = B*l*u, where B is the magnetic field strength, l is the length of the rod, and u is the speed of the rod.

2. How does the magnetic field affect the velocity of the rod?

The magnetic field exerts a force on the charged particles within the rod, causing them to move in a circular path. This results in an increase in the velocity of the rod.

3. What factors can affect the velocity of the rod?

The velocity of the rod can be affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the length of the rod, and the speed at which the rod is moving.

4. Can the velocity of the rod change over time?

Yes, the velocity of the rod can change over time as the magnetic field strength or the speed of the rod changes.

5. How is the velocity of the rod measured in this scenario?

The velocity of the rod can be measured using a variety of methods, such as using a speedometer or measuring the time it takes for the rod to travel a certain distance. It can also be calculated using the formula v = B*l*u.