Velocity on a moving reference frame

In summary, velocity does not depend on the original reference frame, but distances traveled and displacements do. The distance traveled by the web is different depending on the reference frame, but the time interval remains the same. This can lead to different perspectives and interpretations of the same situation.
Calpalned
uu.png

Homework Statement

I am reviewing for my midterm and I just want to quickly understand a concept. It seems that velocity does not depend on the original reference frame. For example, let's say spider man is standing on the ground next to a 78.4 meter tall building, and it is known that if he shoots a web, it will reach the top of the building in 3 seconds. Now let's assume that he falls off of the building and shoots the web after falling for one second. It takes a total of four seconds for spiderman to land. According to the solutions to the practice midterm, the web will still reach the roof in three seconds. I don't understand this. First of all, why is the distance that is covered 78.4 meters, and not the displacement of spiderman after one second? Secondly, wouldn't it take longer for the web to reach the ledge, given that SpiderMan is initially moving downward?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

uu.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Well now, anything to stay within the PF rules, eh ?
I don't see a problem statement, and I don't see your attempt at solution.

Calpalned said:
View attachment 83326

Homework Statement

I am reviewing for my midterm and I just want to quickly understand a concept. It seems that velocity does not depend on the original reference frame. For example, let's say spider man is standing on the ground next to a 78.4 meter tall building, and it is known that if he shoots a web, it will reach the top of the building in 3 seconds. Now let's assume that he falls off of the building and shoots the web after falling for one second. It takes a total of four seconds for spiderman to land. According to the solutions to the practice midterm, the web will still reach the roof in three seconds. I don't understand this. First of all, why is the distance that is covered 78.4 meters, and not the displacement of spiderman after one second? Secondly, wouldn't it take longer for the web to reach the ledge, given that SpiderMan is initially moving downward?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

View attachment 83326
First, note that when they give the speed of the web, they are picking a reference frame with respect to which the speed is measured. It looks like they are calculating the speed from the frame of Spidey and it is obvious that this must be the same no matter if he is falling or not, if we look at the situation from the POV of Spidey. But it can be tricky to look at a situation from different POVs and it can be a bit tricky to switch back and forth. The first point that is crucial to keep in mind is that distances traveled are different in different frames, and velocities also depend on the frame of reference. But the time interval is the same (in classical mechanics, things are quite different in special relativity!).

To get to your question, when Spidey is falling, the distance covered by the web depends on the POV. From the POV of Spidey, here is what is happening: He shoots the web when the top of the building is already a certain distance above him. He then sees the top of the building moving upward from him as he falls. At the instant he lands on the ground, he sees the web reaching the top of the building, 78.4 m above. So clearly, from his POV, the web traveled the height of the building.

Now, from the POV of someone on the ground (not falling with Spidey), the web does NOT travel the entire height of the building. You are right about this! The web only travels the distance Spiderman was below the top of the building at the instant he shot the web. On the other hand, the speed of the web is much less from that point of view. It takes again 3 seconds for the web to reach the top of the building even though the distance traveled is much less than 78.4 m simply because the speed in that frame is less than 26.1 m/s.

Hope this helps

Related to Velocity on a moving reference frame

1. What is velocity on a moving reference frame?

Velocity on a moving reference frame is a measurement of the speed and direction of an object in relation to a frame of reference that is also in motion. This concept is important in understanding the motion of objects in various scenarios, such as on a moving vehicle or in a rotating system.

2. How is velocity on a moving reference frame calculated?

Velocity on a moving reference frame is calculated by using the relative velocity formula, which takes into account the velocity of the object in relation to the frame of reference and the velocity of the frame of reference itself. This formula is v = u + v', where v is the velocity of the object, u is the velocity of the frame of reference, and v' is the relative velocity between the object and the frame of reference.

3. What is the difference between velocity on a moving reference frame and absolute velocity?

Velocity on a moving reference frame is a relative measurement, meaning it is dependent on the chosen frame of reference. Absolute velocity, on the other hand, is an absolute measurement that does not depend on a frame of reference and is the same regardless of the chosen reference point.

4. How does the concept of velocity on a moving reference frame apply in everyday life?

Velocity on a moving reference frame is applicable in various scenarios, such as driving a car or riding a bike. In these situations, the velocity of the vehicle is measured in relation to the ground, which serves as the frame of reference. Understanding velocity on a moving reference frame can also help in predicting the motion of objects in rotating systems, such as a merry-go-round or a spinning top.

5. Why is velocity on a moving reference frame important in physics?

In physics, velocity on a moving reference frame is important because it allows for a more accurate understanding and analysis of the motion of objects. By taking into account the velocity of the frame of reference, we can better understand the relative motion of objects and accurately predict their future positions and velocities. This is crucial in fields such as mechanics, astrophysics, and fluid dynamics.