Angular momentum of a system relative to a moving reference frame.

In summary, the conversation discusses the initial steps in solving a problem involving the angular momentum of a system of particles in a moving reference frame. The first step is to calculate the angular momentum of the system using the formula ∑mi(→ri×→vi). Then, the angular momentum of the moving reference frame is determined by adding the velocity of the frame and each particle, as well as the radius vector relative to the center of inertia and the moving frame. This results in four separate terms to work on for the problem. The use of Latex is suggested for better understanding and clarity.
Davidllerenav
Homework Statement
Demostrate that the angular momentum ##\vec M## of the system of particles relative to a point ##O## of the reference frame ##K## can be presented as

##\vec M=\vec M'+\vec r_c\times\vec p##

where ##\vec M'## is the proper angular momentum (in the reference frame moving translationally and fixed to the centre of inertia), ##\vec r_c## is the radius vector of the centre of inertia relative to the point ##O##, ##\vec p## is the total momentum of the system of particles in the reference frame ##K##.
Relevant Equations
##\vec M=\vec r\times\vec p##
I don't have too much of a clue of how to begin the problem.
I first wrote the angular moementum of the system of particles: →M=∑mi(→ri×→vi)M→=∑mi(r→i×v→i). Then I know that the angular momentum from of the moving reference frame would have the velocity as the sum of the velocity of the frame plus the velocity of each particle and the radius vector as the sum of the the radius vector relative to the center of inertia and the radius vector relative to the moving frame: →M′=∑mi[(→rc+→ri)×(→vi+→vc)]M→′=∑mi[(r→c+r→i)×(v→i+v→c)]. After that I don't know what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
Davidllerenav said:
I don't have too much of a clue of how to begin the problem.
I first wrote the angular moementum of the system of particles: →M=∑mi(→ri×→vi)M→=∑mi(r→i×v→i). Then I know that the angular momentum from of the moving reference frame would have the velocity as the sum of the velocity of the frame plus the velocity of each particle and the radius vector as the sum of the the radius vector relative to the center of inertia and the radius vector relative to the moving frame: →M′=∑mi[(→rc+→ri)×(→vi+→vc)]M→′=∑mi[(r→c+r→i)×(v→i+v→c)]. After that I don't know what to do.

That should give you four separate terms to work on.

It would help if you use Latex:

https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

Related to Angular momentum of a system relative to a moving reference frame.

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the amount of rotational motion an object has. It is a vector quantity and is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's moment of inertia by its angular velocity. The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotation, and it depends on the object's mass distribution and shape. The angular velocity is the rate of change of the object's angular position.

3. What is the difference between angular momentum and linear momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of rotational motion, while linear momentum is a measure of translational motion. Angular momentum depends on the object's moment of inertia and angular velocity, while linear momentum depends on the object's mass and linear velocity.

4. How does angular momentum change in a moving reference frame?

In a moving reference frame, the angular momentum of a system may appear to change due to the effects of translation and rotation of the reference frame. However, the total angular momentum of the system remains constant, as stated by the law of conservation of angular momentum.

5. Can angular momentum be negative?

Yes, angular momentum can be negative. The direction of angular momentum is determined by the right-hand rule, where the direction of the vector is perpendicular to the plane of rotation. If the direction of rotation is opposite to the chosen direction of the reference frame, the angular momentum will be negative.