Velocity of charge orbiting infinite line of negative charg

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a uniformly charged line of negative charge located on the z axis and a small positively charged particle in circular orbit around it. The goal is to derive expressions for the speed and period of the particle's orbit using relevant equations. After using the first equation, the participant obtained an expression for the speed, but it was deemed incorrect by the system. After a reminder to consider vectors and a note about the constant used, the participant was able to solve the problem and obtain the correct expressions for both speed and period.
space-time
Sorry I couldn't finish the title. I ran out of space. Anyway, here's the question:

A uniformly charged, infinitely long line of negative charge has a linear charge density of -λ and is located on the z axis. A small positively charged particle that has a mass m and a charge q is in circular orbit of radius R in the xy plane centered on the line of charge. (Use the following as necessary: k, q, m, R, and λ.)

(a) Derive an expression for the speed of the particle.

(b) Obtain an expression for the period of the particle's orbit.

Relevant Equations:

E = λ/(2πrε0) for an infinite line of charge. In the case of this problem I used -λ instead of just λ.

F = Eq = mv2/r

T = (2π)/ω = (2π)/(v/r) = (2πr)/v
I tried using the first equation I listed above in order to derive E. This led to:

E = -λ/(2πRε0)
F = Eq = mv2/R , so this leads to:

F = -λq/(2πRε0) = mv2/R

solving algebraically for v yields:

v = sqrt(-λq/(2πmε0)) = sqrt(-λkq / (2m) )

Here I thought I had derived v, but webassign said that this was wrong. I tried taking out the negative sign since having an imaginary velocity makes no sense, but it was still wrong. I can't do (b) until I solve (a). Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
you expression for centripetal acceleratio should have a minus sign, since it points inwards.
remember: vectors.

note: $$\frac{1}{2\pi\epsilon_0} = 2k$$

Likes space-time
Simon Bridge said:
you expression for centripetal acceleratio should have a minus sign, since it points inwards.
remember: vectors.

note: $$\frac{1}{2\pi\epsilon_0} = 2k$$
Thanks! I solved it now.

Well done.

Related to Velocity of charge orbiting infinite line of negative charg

1. What is the formula for calculating the velocity of a charge orbiting an infinite line of negative charge?

The velocity of a charge orbiting an infinite line of negative charge can be calculated using the formula v = (ke * Q)/(r * m), where v is the velocity, ke is Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the orbiting particle, r is the distance between the charge and the line of negative charge, and m is the mass of the orbiting particle.

2. How does the velocity of the orbiting charge change as its distance from the line of negative charge changes?

The velocity of the orbiting charge is inversely proportional to the distance between the charge and the line of negative charge. This means that as the distance decreases, the velocity increases and vice versa.

3. Can the velocity of the orbiting charge ever be greater than the speed of light?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, no object can travel faster than the speed of light. Therefore, the velocity of the orbiting charge cannot exceed the speed of light.

4. How does the velocity of the orbiting charge affect its orbit around the line of negative charge?

The velocity of the orbiting charge determines the radius of its orbit around the line of negative charge. A higher velocity will result in a larger orbit, while a lower velocity will result in a smaller orbit.

5. Does the velocity of the orbiting charge have any relationship with the charge and mass of the line of negative charge?

No, the velocity of the orbiting charge is only affected by the charge and mass of the orbiting particle and the distance between the two charges. The charge and mass of the line of negative charge do not have any direct effect on the velocity.