Velocity distribution of molecules in a gas - integral help

In summary: Gaussian integral using the polar coordinate method and states that it is easier to understand if you take it on faith. He also thanks others for their help in the past.
kettle0fish

Homework Statement

Hullo

I'm working through a textbook, and I've come across this expression which I don't follow at all.. the section is headed 'Velocity distribution of moledcules in a gas'. I follow it up until this integral, but I've not got a clue how they do it. I've had a couple of stabs at it myself, but failing that I googled a similar integral and found something saying that it was only possible under certain limits (something to do with a gaussian integral?) Can anyone help, please?!

([mean]u^2) ̅=(∫(u^2)exp(-(mu^2)/2kT)du)/(∫exp(-(mu^2)/2kT)du)=(1/2 (2kT/m)^(3/2))/(2kT/m)^(1/2) =kT/m.

Homework Equations

u is one component of the velocity of a molecule in the gas, k is the Boltzmann constant, and T is the thermodynamic temperature.

I'm a year before university in the UK, so if the solution is some crazy maths I haven't got a hope of understanding then just say so, and I'll have to grin and bear it and just take it on authority..

Thanks!

Kettle0fish

P.S. this isn't homework! I'm on a gap year, I don't have to do homework anymore! but the silly forum is making me post it here...

The Attempt at a Solution

had a stab at the denominator, intergrated by parts but ended up with something involving the numerator..

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with doing integrals over the xy plane using polar coordinates?

I'm not, no.. but it sounds like something I could follow (I've done a bit of integrating functions like y = f(x,z) and quite a bit of polar co-ordinates) :)

OK, there's a trick to evaluating the basic Gaussian integral. Consider the integrals

[tex]I = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-\alpha x^2}\,dx=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-\alpha y^2}\,dy[/tex]

You can write

[tex]I^2 = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-\alpha x^2}\,dx \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-\alpha y^2}\,dy = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-\alpha(x^2+y^2)}\,dx\,dy[/tex]

You can think of the last integral as one over the entire xy plane. Now if you switch to polar coordinates, you get

[tex]I^2 = \int_0^\infty \int_0^{2\pi} e^{-\alpha r^2} r\,d\theta\,dr[/tex]

which you can easily evaluate. The factor of r in the integrand comes from changing variables from rectangular to polar coordinates. If you're not familiar with that, you may just want to take it on faith for now that [itex]dx dy = r dr d\theta[/itex].

To evaluate the numerator, you can use the fact that

[tex]u^2 e^{-\alpha u^2} = -\frac{\partial}{\partial \alpha} e^{-\alpha u^2}[/tex]

The idea here is two interchange the order of integration and differentiation:

[tex]\int u^2 e^{-\alpha u^2} du = -\int \frac{\partial}{\partial \alpha} e^{-\alpha u^2} du = -\frac{\partial}{\partial \alpha} \int e^{-\alpha u^2} du[/tex]

If that seems too weird, you can just integrate by parts. (Actually, that might be easier now that I think about it.)

That all looks as if it follows, I'll give it a proper look-over later

Thanks very much! It's always so much better to be able to know why :)

Kettle0fish

Related to Velocity distribution of molecules in a gas - integral help

1. What is the velocity distribution of molecules in a gas?

The velocity distribution of molecules in a gas refers to the range and frequency of velocities at which molecules in a gas are moving. This distribution is affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and molecular weight.

2. How is the velocity distribution of molecules in a gas calculated?

The velocity distribution of molecules in a gas can be calculated using the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution, which is a probability distribution that describes the distribution of speeds for a gas at a given temperature.

3. How does temperature affect the velocity distribution of molecules in a gas?

As temperature increases, the average velocity of molecules in a gas also increases. This results in a broader velocity distribution, with a greater number of molecules having higher velocities.

4. What is the significance of the velocity distribution of molecules in a gas?

The velocity distribution of molecules in a gas is important in understanding the behavior and properties of gases, such as diffusion, viscosity, and thermal conductivity. It also plays a role in many industrial processes, such as combustion and refrigeration.

5. Can the velocity distribution of molecules in a gas be affected by external factors?

Yes, the velocity distribution of molecules in a gas can be affected by factors such as external pressure, collisions with other molecules, and external forces such as gravity. Changes in these external factors can alter the distribution and affect the overall behavior of the gas.