Velocity distribution of atoms

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability distribution of gas atoms confined to a 3D box and whether it would still follow a Maxwell distribution if a hole was created for the atoms to escape. The speaker also mentions a confusion regarding the probability of negative velocities in relation to the chosen coordinate system.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi

If I have a gas of atoms confined to a (3D) box, then the probability of an atom having a speed (vx, vy, vz) is given by the Maxwell distribution. Say I now make a hole in the box, such that the atoms can "fly" out of it (see attached picture). Would I still be able to describe the components by a Maxwell distribution?

Niles.

Attachments

• gas.PNG
    gas.PNG
    618 bytes · Views: 419
Physics news on Phys.org
I would say that it is still given by a Maxwell distribution, but something about this I can't quite understand: When I plot the distribution, the probability of having a negative velocity is zero. So after choosing a coordinate system, how would I ever be able to get a negative velocity?Niles.

Related to Velocity distribution of atoms

1. What is the velocity distribution of atoms?

The velocity distribution of atoms refers to the spread of velocities among a group of atoms in a system. It describes how fast and in what direction the atoms are moving.

2. How is the velocity distribution of atoms measured?

The velocity distribution of atoms can be measured using various techniques such as laser spectroscopy, time-of-flight measurements, or particle beam techniques. These methods involve measuring the speed and direction of individual atoms and then analyzing the data to determine the overall distribution.

3. What factors affect the velocity distribution of atoms?

The velocity distribution of atoms is affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the type of gas or material the atoms are in. These factors can change the average speed and direction of the atoms, leading to different distributions.

4. Why is the velocity distribution of atoms important?

The velocity distribution of atoms is important in understanding the behavior and properties of materials. It can provide insights into processes such as diffusion, heat transfer, and chemical reactions. Additionally, it is crucial in fields such as thermodynamics and statistical mechanics.

5. How does the velocity distribution of atoms relate to kinetic theory?

The velocity distribution of atoms is a key concept in kinetic theory, which explains the behavior of gases and other materials at the atomic level. According to kinetic theory, the velocity distribution of atoms follows a specific pattern based on temperature and other factors, providing a fundamental understanding of the behavior of atoms in a system.