No. of choosing 4 atoms out of 10 atoms

• Thread starter Pushoam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atoms
In summary, the conversation discusses the ways to assign units of energy to atoms, considering both distinguishable and indistinguishable cases. It also explores the different arrangements of four atoms in four boxes and the total number of distinct arrangements in each case. The conversation also brings up the possibility of different combinations of atoms and their corresponding calculations. The main question of whether the assumption of indistinguishable atoms is correct is also addressed.
Pushoam

Homework Statement

upload_2017-9-9_12-26-2.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A) There is only one way to have 10 quanta of energy i.e. to have all atoms in higher states.
B) I have to decide no. of ways of assigning one units of energy to any 4 atoms. It's equivalent to choosing 4 atoms out of 10 atoms.
If the atoms are indistinguishable, the no. of ways of doing this is one .

If the atoms are distinguishable, then let's label each atom by one roman digits from i to x.
let's say that we have 4 different boxes A,B, C, D.
The total no. of ways in which we can put one atom in each box is 10*9*8*7.
When all of the boxes are indistinguishable,
let's consider one particular arrangement { (i, A) ,(ii, B ) ,( v,C) , (x,D)} among the 10*9*8*7 arrangements.
Since the boxes are indistinguishable, it doesn't matter whether the atom- i is in the box-A or box- B and so on.
When the boxes are distinguishable, there are 4*3*2*1 different ways of putting these four atoms into the four boxes.
When the boxes are made indistinguishable, these 4*3*2*1 different ways don't remain different. This happens with each set of four atoms in the 10*9*8*7 arrangements. Hence, the total no. of putting the atoms into four indistinguishable boxes is ## \frac {10*9*8*7}{4*3*2*1}##.
Since this case corresponds to the problem asked, total no. of distinct arrangements = ## \frac {10*9*8*7}{4*3*2*1}##.
Is this correct so far?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you.
In the question, it is not said that the atoms are indistinguishable. I am assuming it. Is the assumption correct?

Since the question did not specify, they could be distinguishable or indistinguishable. It is insightful that you covered both cases. The distinguishable case would be where all atoms were different. In practice, it might be difficult to get ten distinguishable atoms in a box without them reacting with one another, as there are fewer than ten noble gases.

There are many other possibilities, for example three Neon atoms, three Argon and four Helium. That would give another, different calculation. It might be worth mentioning the other possibilities, but I wouldn't do the calcs for them. There are too many possibilities. You've covered the two most important ones.

Likes Pushoam
andrewkirk said:
There are many other possibilities, for example three Neon atoms, three Argon and four Helium.
Let's consider the case when four of the ten atoms are same,
no. of arrangements in which all of the four atoms are different is ##{^7 C _4} ##.
no. of arrangements in which three atoms are different is ##{^6 C _2} ##
no. of arrangements in which two atoms are different is ##{^6 C _1} ##
no. of arrangements in which none of the four atoms are different is ##{^6 C _0} ##.
So, total no. of arrangements is ##{^7 C _4} + {^6 C _2}+{^6 C _1}+{^6 C _0} ##.
Is this correct?

Yes, that's correct.

Likes Pushoam
Thank you for guiding me.

Pushoam said:
A) There is only one way to have 10 quanta of energy i.e. to have all atoms in higher states.

That's correct if you have to use all the energy "at your disposal". What if you don't?

CWatters said:
That's correct if you have to use all the energy "at your disposal". What if you don't?
That leads to a problem which is similar to the problem given in part (b), doesn't it?

Related to No. of choosing 4 atoms out of 10 atoms

1. How many ways can 4 atoms be chosen out of a collection of 10 atoms?

There are 210 ways to choose 4 atoms out of a collection of 10 atoms. This can be calculated using the combination formula nCr = n!/r!(n-r)! where n is the total number of atoms (10) and r is the number of atoms being chosen (4).

2. Is it possible to choose 4 atoms out of 10 atoms without repeating any atoms?

Yes, it is possible to choose 4 atoms out of 10 atoms without repeating any atoms. This is known as a combination and the formula for calculating this is nCr = n!/r!(n-r)!. In this case, n is the total number of atoms (10) and r is the number of atoms being chosen (4).

3. How does the number of ways to choose 4 atoms out of 10 atoms change if the order of the atoms matters?

If the order of the atoms matters, then the number of ways to choose 4 atoms out of 10 atoms increases. This is known as a permutation and the formula for calculating this is nPr = n!/(n-r)!. In this case, n is the total number of atoms (10) and r is the number of atoms being chosen (4).

4. Can the number of ways to choose 4 atoms out of 10 atoms be larger than the total number of atoms?

No, the number of ways to choose 4 atoms out of 10 atoms cannot be larger than the total number of atoms. This is because the maximum number of ways to choose 4 atoms from a collection of 10 atoms is 210, which is less than the total number of atoms (10).

5. How is the concept of choosing atoms related to probability and statistics?

The concept of choosing atoms is related to probability and statistics as it involves calculating the likelihood of different outcomes. In this case, the number of ways to choose 4 atoms out of 10 atoms can be used to calculate the probability of selecting a specific combination of atoms from a larger collection. This can also be applied in statistical analysis to determine the likelihood of an event occurring based on a given set of data.