Velocity and Acceleration of motorcycle

In summary, Superguy has attached a nitro booster to his motorcycle to assist him in his quest to rid Science City of his archenemy, Mad Maxwell. The motorcycle doubles its acceleration when the nitro is activated. Superguy is idling by the side of the highway when Maxwell tears by. At this instant Superguy steps on the gas and accelerates at a constant rate until he is moving at the same speed as Maxwell, then uses his booster to close the distance and catch Maxwell. Maxwell moves at a constant 30.0 m/s the entire time, and is caught 60.0 seconds after passing Superguy.
sasspup29
Superguy has attached a nitro booster to his motorcycle to assist him in his quest to rid Science City of his archenemy, Mad Maxwell. The motorcycle doubles its acceleration when the nitro is activated. Superguy is idling by the side of the highway when Maxwell tears by. At this instant Superguy steps on the gas and accelerates at a constant rate until he is moving at the same speed as Maxwell, then uses his booster to close the distance and catch Maxwell. Maxwell moves at a constant 30.0 m/s the entire time, and is caught 60.0 seconds after passing Superguy. (a) How far does Maxwell travel after passing Superguy before being caught? (b) What is the acceleration of the motorcycle with the nitro booster engaged? (c) How long is Superguy in motion before engaging the booster?

Motion Equations for Constant Acceleration
1. Vf=Vi+at
2. X=vit+.5at2
3. Vf2=Vi2+2aX
4. X=.5(Vi+Vf)t

X=displacement
Vf= final velocity

For part a, I got 1800 m by using eq. 4. But I can't figure out part b using any of the equations because I don't know at what time he used the nitro booster or what the acceleration is. I think if I get a hint on part b I can figure out part c.

Thank you,
Sasspup29

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, sasspup!
Your part (b) looks tough! I suggest you call that time when S catches up with M time 1 or t1. Then the time for the second part of the motion at double the acceleration is (60-t1). You'll have two unknowns (acceleration and t1) so you'll have to use two of your equations to get a system of equations you can solve for the two unknowns. Have a go!

I solved this in a hurry and I haven't got integer answers (perhaps i made an error in simplification), but approximately, ans to b is 1.7 m/s2 and ans to c is about 35 seconds

you just have to apply those equations...
let the variables be a => acceleration without the nitro boost
and t => time till nitro boost is activated
d1=distance before nitro boost
d2=distance after nitro boost

then,
30=at from eqn 1

d1=at2/2 from 2

d2=30(60-t) +a(60-t)2 from 2

d1+d2=1800

solve for a and t

Thank you both! I'll definitely be working this problem until I KNOW how you got the answers.

Hello Sasspup29,

I can help you with your questions about the velocity and acceleration of Superguy's motorcycle. Let's take a closer look at the information provided and use some physics principles to solve the problem.

First, we know that Superguy's motorcycle doubles its acceleration when the nitro booster is activated. This means that the acceleration of the motorcycle without the booster is half of the acceleration with the booster. Let's call this acceleration without the booster "a" and acceleration with the booster "2a".

Next, we know that Superguy is idling by the side of the highway when Maxwell passes by at a constant speed of 30.0 m/s. This means that at the moment Superguy starts accelerating, Maxwell is already 30.0 m/s ahead of him.

Now, let's look at the equations you mentioned. In order to solve for the distance that Maxwell travels before being caught, we can use equation 4, which is:

X = .5(Vi + Vf)t

We know that Vi (initial velocity) for Maxwell is 30.0 m/s, and Vf (final velocity) is also 30.0 m/s since he is moving at a constant speed. We also know that t (time) is 60.0 seconds, as stated in the problem. Plugging these values into the equation, we get:

X = .5(30.0 + 30.0)(60.0)
X = 1800 m

Therefore, Maxwell travels 1800 m before being caught by Superguy.

For part b, we can use equation 1, which is:

Vf = Vi + at

We know that Vi (initial velocity) for Superguy is 0 m/s, and Vf (final velocity) is also 30.0 m/s since he catches up to Maxwell. We also know that t (time) is the same for both Superguy and Maxwell, which is 60.0 seconds. Plugging these values into the equation, we get:

30.0 = 0 + a(60.0)
a = 0.5 m/s^2

Since the acceleration of the motorcycle without the booster is half of the acceleration with the booster, the acceleration with the booster is 1 m/s^2.

For part c, we can use equation 2, which is:

X =

Related to Velocity and Acceleration of motorcycle

1. What is velocity and acceleration?

Velocity is a measure of the speed and direction of an object's motion. Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes.

2. How do you calculate velocity and acceleration of a motorcycle?

Velocity can be calculated by dividing the displacement of the motorcycle by the time taken to cover that distance. Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time taken.

3. What factors affect the velocity and acceleration of a motorcycle?

The weight and aerodynamics of the motorcycle, as well as the engine power and gear ratios, all contribute to the velocity and acceleration of a motorcycle.

4. How does velocity and acceleration impact the performance of a motorcycle?

Higher velocities and accelerations can result in faster speeds and quicker acceleration times for a motorcycle. However, these factors must be balanced with control and safety considerations.

5. Can velocity and acceleration be improved on a motorcycle?

Yes, there are ways to improve the velocity and acceleration of a motorcycle, such as optimizing the engine and aerodynamics, reducing weight, and using appropriate gear ratios. However, it is important to always prioritize safety and follow speed limits and traffic laws.