Constant Acceleration Ratio to Constant Velocity

In summary, the problem involves finding the point at which the motorcycle's speed matches that of the car, expressed as a ratio of the distance traveled to a denominator. The answer, as given by the professor, is d/4. While the specific equations and values are not provided, it can be solved by choosing different values for speed and acceleration and observing that the total distance traveled is always 4 times the initial distance. This can then be translated into an algebraic equation to solve for the point of equal speed.
Bill48

Homework Statement

A car traveling at an unspecified constant speed passes a parked motorcycle cop. The motorcycle accelerated at an unspecified constant acceleration and reaches the car at unspecified distance d. At what point did the motorcycle's speed match that of the car, expressed as a ratio of d divided by a denominator.

Homework Equations

None that I know of.

The Attempt at a Solution

This question was on a test. Per the professor no one in the class got it. The answer is d/4. I've been trying to figure out how that was obtained but have no idea. It is obviously a universal ratio since the value of velocity and acceleration are not given.

Physics news on Phys.org
The car and the motorcycle both use the same equation. Do you know the equation?

X = Xi + Vi(t) + 1/2 a t^2 is the closest equation I can think of. Xi is initial location, Vi is initial velocity. a is acceleration. But since I have no values I don't know how to proceed.

You do have initial values.
  1. What is X0 for each person?
  2. What is v0 for each person?
  3. What is a for each person?

X0 is the same for both. V0 for the car is not given, but is zero for the motorcycle. A for the car is zero since it is traveling at a constant velocity. A for the motorcycle is constant but not given.

Correct. Now what is the relationship of their distance traveled and how can you write that in a single equation?

The relationship of their distance traveled is d/4. The prof gave us the answer when he returned our papers. I have no idea how that answer was obtained.

What is the final distance equation for the car with the zero elements removed?

I have no idea, that's why I posted the question. If you're not going to explain then quit wasting my time.

I am not wasting your time. I am trying to help you understand how to solve it. The rules for homework questions are that people cannot just give answers.
You gave me the equation of motion for the car and motorcycle so it should be a simple thing to write them without the zero terms.

I know the answer. The answer is d/4.

Bill48 said:
I know the answer. The answer is d/4.
Getting the solution directly won't get you anywhere.

Once you get the equations without zero terms. What does the df represent in each equation? Can you use it in away to perhaps combine the equations together?

You will get to a really interesting fact. Use the kinematic equations again to get the value of time need to for the motorcycle's velocity to equal the cars velocity.

The rest is obvious.

Bill48 said:

Homework Statement

A car traveling at an unspecified constant speed passes a parked motorcycle cop. The motorcycle accelerated at an unspecified constant acceleration and reaches the car at unspecified distance d. At what point did the motorcycle's speed match that of the car, expressed as a ratio of d divided by a denominator.

Homework Equations

None that I know of.

The Attempt at a Solution

This question was on a test. Per the professor no one in the class got it. The answer is d/4. I've been trying to figure out how that was obtained but have no idea. It is obviously a universal ratio since the value of velocity and acceleration are not given.

You could have thought like this:

If this problem can be solved it must be the same solution for all velocities and accelerations. So, perhaps just choose any numbers and try to solve the problem. Then, perhaps, choose a different set of numbers and try to solve the problem again.

E.g. speed = ##20 m/s##, acceleration = ##5m/s^2##. You can now calculate the two distances and compare them.

Then, try again with a different velocity and acceleration.

You should find that in both cases the total distance is 4 times the first distance.

Solving with specific numbers might give you some ideas on how to solve the general problem, which is going to be all algebra and no arithmetic.

Last edited:
Likes Biker

Related to Constant Acceleration Ratio to Constant Velocity

1. What is constant acceleration ratio to constant velocity?

Constant acceleration ratio to constant velocity is a concept in physics that describes the relationship between an object's acceleration and velocity. It states that when an object experiences a constant acceleration, its velocity will change at a constant rate over time.

2. How is constant acceleration ratio to constant velocity calculated?

To calculate the constant acceleration ratio to constant velocity, you can use the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time taken for the change in velocity to occur.

3. What is the significance of constant acceleration ratio to constant velocity?

Constant acceleration ratio to constant velocity is significant in understanding the motion of objects. It helps us predict how an object's velocity will change over time when it experiences a constant acceleration, which is a common occurrence in many real-world scenarios.

4. Can an object have a constant acceleration ratio to constant velocity?

Yes, an object can have a constant acceleration ratio to constant velocity. This happens when the object experiences a constant acceleration, and its velocity changes at a constant rate, resulting in a straight line on a velocity-time graph.

5. How does constant acceleration ratio to constant velocity differ from uniform motion?

Uniform motion is when an object moves at a constant velocity with no change in its speed or direction. Constant acceleration ratio to constant velocity, on the other hand, involves a change in velocity over time due to a constant acceleration. In other words, uniform motion has no acceleration, while constant acceleration ratio to constant velocity does.