Vectors x, y,z rather confusing question.

In summary, someone is asking for help with two vector questions and has provided an image of their work so far. They are unsure of how to proceed and are wondering if their final answer of 2√6 is correct for finding z. They also mention being stumped on question 4, which involves calculating speed with only the angle given. A request is made to resize the image for better visibility.
KazuyaXR
Hi there!

I'm puzzled halfway between these two vector questions.

Could anyone clear it up for me?

I've done half of it, but not sure what to do next...

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/6442/screenshot20101123at034.png

This is what I've done so far:

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/2171/imag0003cf.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm thinking... the final answer might be 2 root 6?
Because:

Magnitude^2= Fx^2 +Fy^2 + Fz^2

Rearranged for: Magnitude^2 - Fx^2 - Fy^2 = Fz^2

So: 4^2 - 2^2 - (2sqrt2)^2

I got final answer as 2sqrt6

Would that be right for finding z? If so, how would I find the angle?

Question 4 I'm completely stumped on... It's asking me to calculate the speed, but all I have is the angle... =S

Anyone got any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please resize your image to no larger than 650 x 490 and repost. The image you posted is 1552 x 2592, and is so large you can't see all of it unless you scroll sideways and down.

Related to Vectors x, y,z rather confusing question.

1. What are vectors x, y, and z?

Vectors x, y, and z are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. They are commonly used in physics and engineering to represent physical quantities such as force, velocity, and acceleration.

2. How are vectors x, y, and z represented?

Vectors x, y, and z can be represented graphically as arrows, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude of the vector and the direction of the arrow indicating its direction. They can also be represented algebraically as ordered lists of numbers.

3. What is the difference between vectors x, y, and z?

The main difference between vectors x, y, and z is their direction and magnitude. Each vector represents a different physical quantity and has its own unique set of properties and characteristics.

4. How are vectors x, y, and z used in science?

Vectors x, y, and z are used in a wide range of scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used to describe and analyze physical phenomena and can be used to solve complex problems and equations.

5. How can I apply vectors x, y, and z in real life?

Vectors x, y, and z have many practical applications in real life, such as in navigation, robotics, and computer graphics. They are also used in sports, such as in calculating the trajectory of a ball in motion. Understanding vectors can also help in everyday tasks, such as understanding and predicting the direction and speed of moving objects.