Vectors Thinking Question: Proving Perpendicularity using the Cosine Law

In summary, in this conversation, the cosine law using a vector operation was discussed and a formula was derived. To prove that a is perpendicular to b, the formula was used and it was shown that if |vector a - vector b| = |vector a + vector b|, then a and b are perpendicular. The suggestion was made to assign coordinates to a and b and use the definition of magnitude to further simplify the equation.
DespicableMe

Homework Statement

a) Write the cosine law using a vector operation.
b) If |vector a - vector b| = |vector a + vector b|, prove that a is perpendicular to b using the formula you found in a).

The Attempt at a Solution

The red period represents the dot product

a) magnitude c = SQUAREROOT (a.a + b.b - 2(a.b) )

b) magnitude c = SQUAREROOT (a.a + b.b - 2(a.b) )

= SQUAREROOT ( a2 + b2 - 2( |a||b|cos 90 )
= SQUAREROOT ( a2 + b2 )

And this is the Pythagorean theorem, which only applies for right angle triangles, so if mag. C is SQUARERT (a2+b2), then a and b are perpendicular.

DId I do this correctly?

I didn't know how to include |vector a - vector b| = |vector a + vector b| into the equation and it only asked to prove it using the formula that I found...

Physics news on Phys.org
DespicableMe said:

Homework Statement

a) Write the cosine law using a vector operation.
b) If |vector a - vector b| = |vector a + vector b|, prove that a is perpendicular to b using the formula you found in a).

The Attempt at a Solution

The red period represents the dot product

a) magnitude c = SQUAREROOT (a.a + b.b - 2(a.b) )

b) magnitude c = SQUAREROOT (a.a + b.b - 2(a.b) )

= SQUAREROOT ( a2 + b2 - 2( |a||b|cos 90 )
= SQUAREROOT ( a2 + b2 )

And this is the Pythagorean theorem, which only applies for right angle triangles, so if mag. C is SQUARERT (a2+b2), then a and b are perpendicular.

DId I do this correctly?

I didn't know how to include |vector a - vector b| = |vector a + vector b| into the equation and it only asked to prove it using the formula that I found...

The b part isn't correct. You need to start by assuming that |a - b| = |a + b|, and showing that it follows that a and b are perpendicular.

You could start by assigning coordinates to a and b, such as a = <a1, a2> and b = <b1, b2>.

Mark44 said:
The b part isn't correct. You need to start by assuming that |a - b| = |a + b|, and showing that it follows that a and b are perpendicular.

You could start by assigning coordinates to a and b, such as a = <a1, a2> and b = <b1, b2>.

I'm still kind of...
What can I do with the coordinates?

At one point, I did draw vector diagrams to show|a - b| = |a + b| but other than that, I didn't know how to use that in the equation.

Start by writing out the magnitudes using the definition of magnitude. Of course, it would be easier if you squared both sides first.

Related to Vectors Thinking Question: Proving Perpendicularity using the Cosine Law

What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is typically represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector and the length of the arrow represents the magnitude.

How is a vector different from a scalar?

A scalar is a mathematical quantity that only has magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. For example, temperature is a scalar quantity while velocity is a vector quantity.

What are some common examples of vectors in real life?

Some common examples of vectors in real life include velocity, force, displacement, and acceleration. These can be represented as arrows with a specific magnitude and direction.

How are vectors used in physics and engineering?

Vectors are used in physics and engineering to describe and analyze physical quantities such as forces, velocities, and accelerations. They are also used in vector calculus to solve problems involving motion and forces.

What is the difference between a position vector and a displacement vector?

A position vector represents the location of an object relative to a fixed point, while a displacement vector represents the change in position of an object. In other words, a displacement vector tells us how far and in what direction an object has moved from its original position.