Vectors, New Student, probably very basic

In summary: The angle is calculated using inverse tangent, so it should be in the range of -90 degrees to 90 degrees. In summary, the conversation discusses a physics question involving a stone being thrown horizontally with an initial velocity of 5ms-1 and determining its velocity 0.2s later. The conversation includes equations for calculating the magnitude and direction of the velocity vector in Cartesian coordinates and converting it to polar coordinates. There is a small discrepancy in the angle calculated by the conversation participants and the book.
stevie
I have just started studying my first physics class this year, and I am stuck on 1 question relating to vectors. I think my problem is understanding the question, I have completed all the other questions in the section fairly easily. This is the question I am stuck on.

A stone is thrown horizontally with an initial velocity of 5ms-1. What is the magnitude and direction of its velocity 0.2s later? Take the acceleration of free fall to be 9.8ms-2 and ignore friction.

The book has the answers, but it doens't show working out. but I have not been able to figure out how to do this one. Any help? Please? Show any workings. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]v_o = 5 m/s[/tex]
[tex]t = 0.2 s[/tex]
[tex]a = g = 9.82 m/s^2[/tex]

The [tex]v_0[/tex] is a vector upwards while the acceleration is a vector downwards with respect to the time.

Last edited:
Mattara said:
The [tex]v_0[/tex] is a vector upwards

No, it's horizontal. :smile:

The key here is to note that the vector equation

[tex]\vec v = {\vec v}_0 + \vec a t[/tex]

is really two equations, one each for the x and y components of motion:

[tex]v_x = v_{0x} + a_x t[/tex]

[tex]v_y = v_{0y} + a_y t[/tex]

The information you were given tells you the values of [itex]v_{0x}[/itex], [itex]v_{0y}[/itex], [itex]a_x[/itex], [itex]a_y[/itex] and [itex]t[/itex]. Therefore you can calculate [itex]v_x[/itex] and [itex]v_y[/itex], and from them you can calculate the magnitude and direction of [itex]\vec v[/itex].

The answer according to the book is "5.37ms-1, 2.14 degrees below horizontal."

Oh, my bad didn't read the whole question ;P

stevie said:
I have just started studying my first physics class this year, and I am stuck on 1 question relating to vectors. I think my problem is understanding the question, I have completed all the other questions in the section fairly easily. This is the question I am stuck on.

A stone is thrown horizontally with an initial velocity of 5ms-1. What is the magnitude and direction of its velocity 0.2s later? Take the acceleration of free fall to be 9.8ms-2 and ignore friction.

The book has the answers, but it doens't show working out. but I have not been able to figure out how to do this one. Any help? Please? Show any workings. Thanks.
jtbell has the correct equations for each of the components (x and y). Keep in mind that the horizontal component has an acceleration of zero. The vertical component has an initial velocity of zero (the stone was thrown horizontally).

jtbell's equations give you the vector in Cartesian coordinates. You want the vector in polar coordinates. Plug the x and y coordinates into the Pythagorean Theorem to get the magnitude of the vector. The tangent of the angle is equal to y/x. (Since gravity accelerates the stone downwards, your y component will be negative, hence the negative angle - i.e. 2.14 degrees below horizontal).

stevie said:
The answer according to the book is "5.37ms-1, 2.14 degrees below horizontal."

Either you or the book made a typo. It should be 21.4 degrees, not 2.14.

Related to Vectors, New Student, probably very basic

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude.

2. How are vectors used in science?

Vectors are used in various fields of science, such as physics, biology, and engineering. They are commonly used to represent forces, velocities, and other physical quantities that have both magnitude and direction.

3. Can you give an example of a vector?

Yes, an example of a vector is the displacement of an object. If an object moves 5 meters to the east, its displacement can be represented by a vector with a length of 5 meters and an arrow pointing to the east.

4. How are vectors different from scalars?

Vectors have both magnitude and direction, while scalars only have magnitude. For example, velocity is a vector quantity because it has both speed (magnitude) and direction, while speed is a scalar quantity because it only has magnitude.

5. Are there different types of vectors?

Yes, there are different types of vectors, such as position vectors, displacement vectors, and force vectors. These types of vectors represent different physical quantities and have different mathematical properties.