Vectors, Hilbert Spaces, and Tensor Products

In summary, the conversation discusses the representation of a system in classical mechanics and quantum mechanics. It is explained that in classical mechanics, a point in phase space represents the state of the system, whereas in quantum mechanics, a ray in Hilbert space or a statistical operator is used. The motivation for this representation in quantum mechanics is also discussed, and it is noted that there are good expositions on the topic in textbooks and research papers.
Bashyboy
If I ever say anything incorrect, please promptly correct me!

The state of a system in classical mechanics is specified by point in phase space, the point giving us the position and velocity at a given instance. Could we rephrase it by saying a vector in phase space specifies the system? If so, it would seem to make transition to QM slightly more natural.

My next question is, what is the motivation for thinking that a vector in a Hilbert space represents the state of a quantum? I would appreciate an explanation or a reference to some source that nicely answers this question.

My last question, related to the second, is, why is "The situation of two independent observers conducting measurements on a joint quantum system...usually modeled using a Hilbert space of tensor product form, each factor associated to one observer"? Again, is there motivation for this idea?

Physics news on Phys.org
Take any quantum-mechanics textbook, e.g., Sakurai, Modern Quantum Mechanics. A good book will explain that it is actually a ray in Hilbert space that represents a (pure) state of the system. Most general is the representation of the system in terms of a statistical operator, which is a self-adjoint positive semidefinite operator of trace 1.

Bashyboy said:
The state of a system in classical mechanics is specified by point in phase space, the point giving us the position and velocity at a given instance. Could we rephrase it by saying a vector in phase space specifies the system? If so, it would seem to make transition to QM slightly more natural.

Actually It is position and momentum. But in a sense yes, The state of a classical system can be represented by vector in an Hilbert space associated to the phase space

http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0301172

andresB said:
The state of a classical system can be represented by vector in an Hilbert space associated to the phase space

http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0301172

@andresB You seem to be saying something slightly different than what I said in my question. Would you elaborate on the difference between a vector in phase space describing a classical system and a vector in an Hilbert space associated to the phase space?

In general, for the phase space you can't use vectors as in RN (where there is an identification of a point with a vector) because the phase space is not necessarily an euclidean manifolds. I don't have enough mastery on the topic to give a clear picture but there are several good expositions like Arnold's mathematical methods of classical mechanics.

Related to Vectors, Hilbert Spaces, and Tensor Products

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented as an arrow in a coordinate system and can be used to represent physical quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and force.

2. What is a Hilbert space?

A Hilbert space is a mathematical concept that is used to describe a complete vector space. It is a generalization of Euclidean space and is equipped with an inner product that allows for the measurement of angles and distances between vectors.

3. How are vectors and Hilbert spaces related?

Vectors can be elements of a Hilbert space, and operations such as addition, scalar multiplication, and inner product can be defined on them. Hilbert spaces provide a framework for studying vectors in a more general and abstract manner.

4. What is a tensor product?

A tensor product is a mathematical operation that combines two vectors to create a new vector. It is used to represent the relationship between two vectors in a multi-dimensional space and is commonly used in the study of quantum mechanics.

5. How are tensor products and Hilbert spaces connected?

A tensor product of two vectors in a Hilbert space results in a new vector that is also an element of the same Hilbert space. This allows for the study of more complex relationships between vectors in a multi-dimensional space.