Vector space definition with respect to field membership

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion between a set of problems created by a professor and a set of problems in a textbook. The professor's problem involves a vector space over the field ##\mathbb{R}^{+}## while the textbook problem involves a vector space over the field ##\mathbb{R}##. The conversation also discusses the decision-making process for determining a scalar zero and how to define scalar multiplication in a way that satisfies vector space axioms. The conclusion is that the professor's problem is valid and the textbook's definition is correct, but it is important to understand the specified field of scalars in order to solve vector space problems accurately.
thelema418
I'm confused by a set of problems my teacher created versus a set of problems in the textbook.

My textbook states that "A vector space V over a field F consists of a set on which two operations (called addition and scalar multiplication, respectively) are defined so that for each pair of elements, x, y in V there is a unique element x + y in V, and for each element a in F and each element x in V there is a unique element ax in V, such that the following conditions hold..."

In our problem set, the professor created a problem where V is over ##\mathbb{R}^+##, but the scalars are members of ##\mathbb{R}##. There is a special definition of addition and scalar multiplication, so I can easily prove that the axioms hold.

My concern is with the use of two different fields. I'm thinking that this is not a vector space because of the field membership.

The issue I'm having with the textbook problem is that a true or false makes the claim "If f is a polynomial of degree #n# and #c# is a nonzero scalar, then #cf# is a polynomial of degree #n#." If I follow the textbooks definition the way I'm interpreting it, I get the answer True. But if I use two different fields, the answer will be false. For example, let the polynomials be from ##Z_3(x)## but the scalars from ##Z_7## and defined multiplication and addition with mod 3. The #c = 6# is a nonzero scalar, but (6 * 2x) mod 3 = 0.

In short, I cannot reconcile what the professor is doing in his question with what the definition appears to say to me. Is there something I'm not seeing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it actually the case that [itex]V = \mathbb{R}^{+}[/itex], and the field of scalars is [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]?

It is actually the case.

If you are working in Z3, then multiplying by 6 is exactly the same as multiplying by 0. The theorem you state does NOT apply here because you not multiplying by a non-zero scalar.

HallsofIvy said:
If you are working in Z3, then multiplying by 6 is exactly the same as multiplying by 0. The theorem you state does NOT apply here because you not multiplying by a non-zero scalar.

In respect to VS axioms, how are you making that decision when the fields are different? How do you decide what is a scalar zero?

Example of confusion: In the ##Z_3## situation you are saying that 6 is a zero when it is nonzero ##Z_7##. Yet, in the case of the professor's problem, the zero element of the vectors over ##R^+## is 1, but the zero element of the scalars over ##R## is 0. How do I know (based on the VS axioms) what the zero is? Also, if you end up with non-unique scalar zeros when doing this, is it still a VS?

thelema418 said:
In respect to VS axioms, how are you making that decision when the fields are different? How do you decide what is a scalar zero?

There is a specified field of scalars. Fields have a unique zero.

In your example of turning [itex]\mathbb{Z}_3[/itex] into a vector space over [itex]\mathbb{Z}_7[/itex], you need to define the scalar multiplication operation [itex]\mathbb{Z}_7 \times \mathbb{Z}_3 \to \mathbb{Z}_3[/itex] in a way which satisfies the vector space axioms. In particular, you need that [itex](-1)v = -v[/itex] for every vector [itex]v[/itex]. But -1 = 6 mod 7, so that [itex](-1)v = 6v = 0 \in \mathbb{Z}_3[/itex]. But in [itex]\mathbb{Z}_3[/itex], [itex]-1 = 2[/itex] and [itex]-2 = 1[/itex]. Thus "multiplication mod 3" cannot be a scalar multiplication rule here.

Likes thelema418
Thanks -- that information is definitely not in the textbook or the lecture notes.

Related to Vector space definition with respect to field membership

1. What is a vector space definition?

A vector space definition is a mathematical concept that describes a set of elements (vectors) that can be added together and multiplied by scalars (numbers) to produce other elements within the same set.

2. What is a field?

A field is a mathematical structure that contains two operations, addition and multiplication, and follows a set of rules such as commutativity, associativity, and distributivity. Examples of fields include the real numbers and complex numbers.

3. How is a vector space related to a field?

A vector space is a set of vectors that are defined over a field. This means that the elements of the vector space are members of the field, and the operations of addition and scalar multiplication are defined using the operations of the field.

4. What does it mean for a vector to be a member of a field?

A vector being a member of a field means that the components of the vector are elements of the field. For example, if the field is the real numbers, then a vector with components (2, 5, -1) is a member of the field because all of its components are real numbers.

5. Can a vector space definition be applied to any field?

Yes, a vector space definition can be applied to any field. However, the properties and operations of the field may affect the properties and operations of the vector space. For example, if the field does not have a multiplicative inverse, then the vector space may not have a multiplicative identity element.