Vector Projectile Problem (Calculus III)

In summary: Yes, you can equate ##\underline{P}(t)## to ##\langle 390, 40 \rangle##. This will give two scalar equations and if you eliminate t between the two equations, you can get ##P_y = 40 = P_y(\theta)##, I.e the displacement in the vertical direction as a function of the angle projected, which you can solve.
FallingMan

Homework Statement

A golfer stands 390 ft (130 yards) horizontally from the hole and 40 feet below the hole. Assuming the ball is hit with an initial speed of 150 ft/s, at what angle should it be hit to land in the hole? Assume the path of the ball lies in a plane
JePuYeP.png

Homework Equations

Force of gravity:
a(t) = <0, -32>
32 feet/sec^2 will be the force of gravity)

Integrating a(t) gives us v(t), the velocity function.

Velocity function:
V(t) = <0, -32t> + <Initial Velocity in X Direction, Initial Velocity in Y Direction>

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I obtain the vector valued function for the velocity of the ball. Let's call that v(t). We know that after the ball is launched, there are no forces acting on the ball in the x-direction, but there is gravity acting on the ball in the y-direction. Thus, the y-component of the vector will be -32t, and the x-component will be 0. The initial velocity vector will be the x and y-components of the initial speed of 150 ft/sec, which will be 150cos(θ), and 150sin(θ), respectively.

v(t) = <0, -32t> + <150cos(θ), 150sin(θ)>
v(t) = <150cos(θ), 150sin(θ)-32t>

2. I obtain the vector valued function for the position of the ball by integrating the velocity function. Let's call the position function p(t):

p(t) = <150sin(θ), -150cos(θ)-16t^2> + <Initial Position on X-Coord, Initial position on Y-Coord>

Let's assume the golfer is at the origin, so that the initial position vector is <0,0>.

Thus, p(t) = <150sin(θ), -150cos(θ)-16t^2> + <0, 0> = <150sin(θ), -150cos(θ)-16t^2>

3. Now, do we set the position function equal to the vector <390, 40>, and somehow solve for theta? Any advice on how exactly I can do that?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are not integrating over θ so the position function you have is wrong.

But, yes, you would then set i equal to the vector <390,40> to see what you get for θ

This makes me even more confused. I will have to somehow switch my variables from t to theta?

FallingMan said:
This makes me even more confused. I will have to somehow switch my variables from t to theta?
When you integrated your velocity equation, you seemed to have integrated one component wrt θ and the other by t. Position is the integral of velocity wrt time, so you should integrate all components wrt t.

CAF123 said:
When you integrated your velocity equation, you seemed to have integrated one component wrt θ and the other by t. Position is the integral of velocity wrt time, so you should integrate all components wrt t.

I see. I should integrate the velocity equation with respect to t, not theta.

Then:

p(t) = <150tcos(θ), 150tsin(θ) - 16t^2>

However, setting the equation equal to <390, 40> doesn't really seem to make sense because I have both theta and t. Do I need to get t out of the equation and make it entirely in terms of theta? How do I go about that?

FallingMan said:
I see. I should integrate the velocity equation with respect to t, not theta.

Then:

p(t) = <150tcos(θ), 150tsin(θ) - 16t^2>

However, setting the equation equal to <390, 40> doesn't really seem to make sense because I have both theta and t. Do I need to get t out of the equation and make it entirely in terms of theta? How do I go about that?
Yes, you can equate ##\underline{P}(t)## to ##\langle 390, 40 \rangle##. This will give two scalar equations and if you eliminate t between the two equations, you can get ##P_y = 40 = P_y(\theta)##, I.e the displacement in the vertical direction as a function of the angle projected, which you can solve.

Related to Vector Projectile Problem (Calculus III)

1. What is a vector projectile problem in Calculus III?

A vector projectile problem in Calculus III involves analyzing the motion of an object that is launched into the air at an angle, taking into account both the horizontal and vertical components of its motion.

2. How is a vector projectile problem solved?

A vector projectile problem is typically solved using principles of calculus and trigonometry, specifically through the use of parametric equations and vector operations.

3. What information is needed to solve a vector projectile problem?

In order to solve a vector projectile problem, you will need to know the initial velocity of the object, the angle at which it is launched, and any other relevant information such as the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What are some real-world applications of vector projectile problems?

Vector projectile problems have many real-world applications, such as analyzing the trajectory of a golf ball, the motion of a projectile fired from a cannon, or the flight path of a rocket.

5. Can vector projectile problems be solved without using calculus?

While calculus is the most efficient and accurate method for solving vector projectile problems, it is possible to solve them using other methods such as algebra and trigonometry. However, these methods may be more time-consuming and less precise.