Vector problem in three dimensions

In summary, Four points A, B, C, and D have coordinates (0, 1, -2), (1, 3, 2), (4, 3, 4) and (5, -1, -2) respectively. Find the position vectors of A, B, C, and D using your answers to part (b).
furor celtica

Homework Statement

First of all, sorry if this isn't the right place to post this.

Four points A, B,C and D have coordinates (0, 1, -2), (1, 3, 2), (4, 3, 4) and (5, -1, -2) respectively. Find the position vectors of
a. The mid-point E of AC
b. The point F on BC such that BF/FD = 1/3
Use your answers to draw a sketch showing the relative positions of A, B, C and D

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I had no difficulty solving a. and b.: both E and F have position vectors (2i, 2j, k)
This confuses as with respect to the last exercise, though. If E and F have the same position vectors, they should be the same point. Since E lies on AC and F on BC, shouldn’t A, B and C lie on the same line? However, vector AC = 4i + 2j + 6k and vector BC = 3i + 2k: they are not multiples, so A, B and C are not collinear.
I’m new to the study of vectors in three dimensions so there’s probably a noob mistake I’m making somewhere. What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Take a look again at your midpoint for part (a). When finding the midpoint between A and C, we have ((4-0)/2, (3-1)/2, (4+2)/2). So the midpoint E doesn't have the coordinates you mentioned.

Part (b), try finding the point F again: Let F = (a, b, c). We have 1/3 = BF/FD, which means that (1/3)FD = BF. Recall that FD = (5, -1, -2)-(a, b, c), and BF = (a, b, c)-(1, 3, 2).

Then you will have a system of equations, and you will be able to find the coordinates of F.

furor celtica said:
I had no difficulty solving a. and b.: both E and F have position vectors (2i, 2j, k)
You should write either (2, 2, 1) or ##2\hat{i}+2\hat{j}+\hat{k}##. Don't mix the notations.

I agree that E is (2, 2, 1), but I get a much messier answer for F. How did you find F?

stripes said:
Take a look again at your midpoint for part (a). When finding the midpoint between A and C, we have ((4-0)/2, (3-1)/2, (4+2)/2). So the midpoint E doesn't have the coordinates you mentioned.
This isn't correct.

Part (b), try finding the point F again: Let F = (a, b, c). We have 1/3 = BF/FD, which means that (1/3)FD = BF. Recall that FD = (5, -1, -2)-(a, b, c), and BF = (a, b, c)-(1, 3, 2).

Then you will have a system of equations, and you will be able to find the coordinates of F.
This isn't correct either. BF and FD denote lengths.

My apologies. I should try not to answer questions when I'm sleepy.

Alright so here’s my work on b. :
We have 3BF = FD, f = BF + b
And since we know b, all we need is BF to find f position vector of F
BF + FD = BD => 4BF = d – b = 4i – 4j – 4k => BF = i – j – k
=> f = (1+1)i + (3-1)j + (2-1)k = 2i + 2j + k

Now I’m aware that my error lies in assuming the vector BF equals one-third of vector FD, as this proportion only applies to the lengths of the vectors and not the vectors themselves. It WOULD mean the same thing, however, if F lies on BD and not BC: so I’m starting to believe that problem is simply a typo in the textbook, in which case my working would be valid.

So do you still have the question about sketching the four points?

yes! I'm not sure how to sketch a three-dimensional vector at all, especially if the points are not collinear.

Related to Vector problem in three dimensions

1. What is a vector in three dimensions?

A vector in three dimensions is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented graphically as an arrow pointing in a specific direction, with its length representing its magnitude.

2. How do you solve vector problems in three dimensions?

To solve vector problems in three dimensions, you typically use vector algebra and geometry. This involves breaking the vectors into their components, performing mathematical operations such as addition and subtraction, and using trigonometric functions to find angles and magnitudes.

3. What is the cross product of two vectors in three dimensions?

The cross product of two vectors in three dimensions is a vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. Its magnitude is equal to the product of the magnitudes of the two vectors multiplied by the sine of the angle between them, and its direction is determined by the right-hand rule.

4. How do you find the magnitude of a vector in three dimensions?

To find the magnitude of a vector in three dimensions, you can use the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the hypotenuse of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In vector terms, this means that the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the vector's components.

5. Can you apply vector problem-solving techniques to real-world situations?

Yes, vector problem-solving techniques can be applied to real-world situations in fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. For example, vectors can be used to calculate the forces acting on an object, to design structures that can withstand certain forces, and to navigate using coordinates and directions.