Vector Potential Function: Exploring c & \nabla

In summary: For example, the LaTeX code above will give you the wrong answer for the curl of the vector potential above if you use the identity \mathbf{A} \cdot \mathbf{B} = -\mathbf{B} \cdot \mathbf{A}. In summary, the function:g = \frac{1}{2} (c \times r)is a "vector potential" function for the constant vector "c". That is, that:\nabla \times g = cThe calculation is straightforward to carry out in Cartesian coordinates, and I won't reproduce it here. However, my question concerns the following. It is also
psholtz
It's not hard to show that the function:

[tex]g = \frac{1}{2} (c \times r)[/tex]

is a "vector potential" function for the constant vector "c". That is, that:

[tex]\nabla \times g = c[/tex]

The calculation is straightforward to carry out in Cartesian coordinates, and I won't reproduce it here.

However, my question concerns the following. It is also a standard result in vector algebra that we have:

[tex]a \times (b \times c) = (a \cdot c) b - (a \cdot b) c[/tex]

My question is, when taking the "curl" of the vector potential above, why can't I just treat the "del" operator as though it were a vector, and write something like the following:

[tex]\nabla \times (c \times r) = (\nabla \cdot r) c - (\nabla \cdot c) r [/tex]

[tex]\nabla \times (c \times r) = 3c [/tex]

where the last equality follows because (a) the divergence of a constant vector is 0; and (b) the divergence of the radial vector (i.e., the vector [x,y,z]) is 3.

However, when factoring back in the factor of (1/2) to obtain the final "answer", the "answer" obtained using this method is (3/2)c, rather than the "correct" answer of c.

Why is this?

Is it because you can't treat the "del" operator as though it's a "vector" in this case?

Or am I doing something else wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
In general, you cannot treat the del operator as a vector because the "elements" of [itex]\vec{\nabla}[/itex] are not numbers, but partial derivative operators. As far as I know, the problem with this is that partial derivative operators don't follow commutativity. With real numbers, we don't usually think twice about replacing [itex]a b[/itex] with [itex]b a[/itex]. However, [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x} f(x)[/itex] is NOT the same as [itex]f(x) \frac{\partial}{\partial x} [/itex]. The first one is the derivative of f(x), while the second one is not even a function, it's like a weighted operator.

So basically what tends to happen is that in proving an identity for vectors, you end up with something like [itex]a b[/itex] and you replace it with [itex]b a[/itex] without even thinking about it. That's fine, but you now can't use that identity for the del operator, because if [itex]a[/itex] is a partial derivative and [itex]b[/itex] is a function, that move was a big no-no. That's why you can't just plug the del operator into identities that have been derived for real numbers. What makes this so tricky is that a lot of the vector identities do actually work for the del operator, so it's very tempting to assume that they all do.

I would guess that in the derivation of the vector identity you stated, you have to apply commutativity ([itex]ab = ba[/itex]) at some point.

hi psholtz! :smile:
psholtz said:
My question is, when taking the "curl" of the vector potential above, why can't I just treat the "del" operator as though it were a vector, and write something like the following:

[tex]\nabla \times (c \times r) = (\nabla \cdot r) c - (\nabla \cdot c) r [/tex]

you can

but (a.∇) is defined as the operator ax∂/∂x + ay∂/∂y + az∂/∂z …

try it that way :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi psholtz! :smile:

you can

but (a.∇) is defined as the operator ax∂/∂x + ay∂/∂y + az∂/∂z …

try it that way :wink:

You still can't just plug in the del operator, though. The actual vector calculus identity takes a similar form to the vector identity, but it has four terms instead of just two:

[tex] \nabla \times (\mathbf{A} \times \mathbf{B}) = \mathbf{A} (\nabla \cdot \mathbf{B}) - \mathbf{B} (\nabla \cdot \mathbf{A}) + (\mathbf{B} \cdot \nabla) \mathbf{A} - (\mathbf{A} \cdot \nabla) \mathbf{B} [/tex]

(I stole the LaTeX code directly from the wikipedia "Vector Calculus Identities" page)

Notice that even if you replace [itex]\nabla[/itex] with an actual vector like [itex]\mathbf{C}[/itex], you don't end up with the same identity written in the original post. You end up with an extra factor of two.

I think the best policy is just to treat vector calculus identities (involving the div operator) and "standard" vector identities as completely separate. Certainly there are some enticing parallels, but there are also things that just don't work.

Related to Vector Potential Function: Exploring c & \nabla

1. What is a vector potential function?

A vector potential function is a mathematical concept used in vector calculus to describe the behavior of a vector field. It is a vector-valued function that represents the potential energy of a given vector field at any given point in space. In simpler terms, it helps us understand how a vector field changes over space.

2. How is the vector potential function related to the gradient?

The vector potential function is closely related to the gradient, as it is defined as the curl of a vector field. This means that the vector potential function is a measure of the rotational behavior of a vector field. The gradient, on the other hand, is a measure of the directional change of a scalar field. They are both important concepts in vector calculus and are often used together to solve problems involving vector fields.

3. What is the significance of the constant 'c' in the vector potential function?

The constant 'c' in the vector potential function represents the gauge freedom or the arbitrariness in the choice of the vector potential. This means that the vector potential function is not unique and can be defined up to a constant value. The value of 'c' does not affect the physical behavior of the vector field, but it can make calculations and equations simpler to work with.

4. How can the vector potential function be used in physics?

The vector potential function is a useful tool in physics, particularly in the field of electromagnetism. It is used to describe the magnetic field in terms of the electric current that creates it. It is also used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of wave functions. Additionally, the vector potential function plays a role in fluid dynamics, as it can be used to describe the velocity of a fluid at any given point in space.

5. Can the vector potential function be used in three-dimensional space?

Yes, the vector potential function can be used in three-dimensional space. It is a fundamental concept in vector calculus and is applicable in any number of dimensions. In three-dimensional space, the vector potential function is often written in terms of three coordinates (x, y, z) and can be used to describe the behavior of vector fields in three-dimensional systems.