Vector Perpendicular to Two Other Vectors

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a vector perpendicular to two known vectors using the dot product. The suggestion is made to also consider using the cross product, but the original poster can only use the dot product for their solution.
mhz

Homework Statement

There are two known vectors (you can make up any two, the question gives them but I don't know what they were) and I need to find a vector that is perpendicular to both of them.

Homework Equations

Dot Product

The Attempt at a Solution

Getting two equations with three variables each for the dot product equal to zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to go back to your study of vectors more closely.
Besides "dot product", there is another kind of product, the "cross product". I suggest you look it up. If you still have any queries pertaining to it, then feel free to come back here.

Sorry I failed to mention that I can only use the Dot product to answer this. With the cross product it wouldn't take much effort at all to answer this question, the trick I'm having trouble with is doing it with the dot product.

Related to Vector Perpendicular to Two Other Vectors

1. What is a vector perpendicular to two other vectors?

A vector perpendicular to two other vectors is a vector that forms a right angle with both of the other vectors. This means that the dot product of the perpendicular vector with each of the other vectors is equal to 0.

2. How do you find the vector perpendicular to two other vectors?

To find the vector perpendicular to two other vectors, you can take the cross product of the two vectors. The resulting vector will be perpendicular to both of the original vectors.

3. What is the relationship between the cross product and the dot product when finding a vector perpendicular to two other vectors?

The dot product of two vectors is equal to 0 when the vectors are perpendicular. This means that when finding a vector perpendicular to two other vectors, the dot product of the resulting vector with each of the original vectors will be equal to 0.

4. Can there be more than one vector perpendicular to two other vectors?

Yes, there can be an infinite number of vectors perpendicular to two other vectors. This is because any vector that forms a right angle with both of the original vectors can be considered perpendicular.

5. Why is finding a vector perpendicular to two other vectors important in math and science?

Finding a vector perpendicular to two other vectors is important in math and science because it allows us to solve problems involving three-dimensional space, such as calculating forces in physics or determining angles in geometry. It also helps us understand the relationship between different vectors and their properties.