Vector Help. Calc based Physics 1

In summary: Q2. To find the magnitude of a vector in Cartesian form, you can use the formula from Q1. To find the angle with the x-axis, you can use the formula tan(theta) = y/x.Q3. To subtract vectors, you can just subtract their corresponding components. Then use the formula from Q1 to find the magnitude.
dukebdx12

Homework Statement

Rank from largest to smallest:
2i+7j-4k , 3i+j-k , 7i - 2j +4k , 4i + 7j - 3k
Explain please

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Don't understand how and what to look for

Homework Statement

A receiver starts at +2i - 3j with the units being expressed in yards. i is the the right and j is downfield. The receiver goes +9.0i +12j , -6i +4.0j , +12.0i + 18j and the quarterback drops back -7.0j.
How far must the quarterback throw the ball?
In which direction must the quarterback throw the ball? In degrees

Homework Equations

I have drawn it and the 2 answers I came up with are 41 and 38 yards. Neither are right. I don't know how to find the angle.

Homework Statement

Ax = +5.7 Bx = -9.8
Ay = -3.6 By = -6.5

The magnitude of the vector difference , is closest to:

I have tried 5 and -5 and right now looking at my paper I forgot the equation I used but it must have been wrong

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Q1. These are vectors. Vectors have magnitudes and directions. On what basis do you think they should be arranged?

Q2. Vector displacement of ball = Recvr's posn vector - Qbacks's posn vector. How do you find the magnitude and angle with the, say x-axis, of a Cartesian vector?

Q3. Vector A = Axi + Ayj etc. Subtract and find the magnitude of the resulting vector.

Q1. [tex]|v| = \sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}[/tex] It's fairly easy to prove if you don't believe me.

Related to Vector Help. Calc based Physics 1

1. What are vectors in physics?

Vectors in physics are quantities that have both magnitude (size) and direction. They are represented using arrows, where the length of the arrow represents the magnitude and the direction of the arrow represents the direction.

2. How do you add vectors?

Vectors can be added using the head-to-tail method. This involves placing the tail of one vector at the head of the other vector and drawing a new vector from the tail of the first vector to the head of the second vector. The resulting vector is the sum of the two original vectors.

3. What is the difference between vector addition and scalar addition?

Vector addition involves adding two or more vectors together, taking into account their magnitude and direction. Scalar addition, on the other hand, involves adding two or more scalar quantities, which only have magnitude.

4. How do you calculate the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem. This involves taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the components of the vector.

5. What is the difference between displacement and distance?

Displacement is a vector quantity that refers to the straight-line distance and direction between an object's starting and ending positions. Distance, on the other hand, is a scalar quantity that refers to the total length of the path traveled by an object, regardless of its direction.