Find Moment Around A with 3D Vectors: B & C

• Thread starter LeftBrain
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d Moment
In summary, the student is trying to find the moment about point A and is having trouble with the calculation.
LeftBrain

Homework Statement

wbqf13.jpg

A (0,0,0)
B(5,6,1)
C(3,0,4)

|F|= 1919N

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Cartesian:
B= {5i + 6j + 1k}
C= {3i + 4k}

rCB ={2i + 6j - 3k}

|rCB| = sqrt(22 + 62 + 32) = 7

Unit vector = rCB / |rCB| = {2/7i + 6/7j - 3/7k}

F = |F| * Unit vector = 1919 {2/7i + 6/7j - 3/7k} = 548.29i + 1644.86j - 822.43k

Now firstly, I'm not sure if I even did the above part correctly, but to find the moment I'm a bit lost and my don't seem to have much in my notes about this...

I think the next step is using cross product, but I'm a bit lost as to which arm to take to find moment about A...

If I use rBA I get:

MA = rBA x F = 6579.44i - 4660.44j - 4934.56k

WELP! Need help!

Cheers LB

Physics news on Phys.org
LeftBrain said:

Homework Statement

wbqf13.jpg

A (0,0,0)
B(5,6,1)
C(3,0,4)

|F|= 1919N

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Cartesian:
B= {5i + 6j + 1k}
C= {3i + 4k}

rCB ={2i + 6j - 3k}

|rCB| = sqrt(22 + 62 + 32) = 7

Unit vector = rCB / |rCB| = {2/7i + 6/7j - 3/7k}

This is not the r-vector for use in calculating the moment about point A. What is the r-vector you need instead?

(Hint: What is the Force pulling on?)
F = |F| * Unit vector = 1919 {2/7i + 6/7j - 3/7k} = 548.29i + 1644.86j - 822.43k

Now firstly, I'm not sure if I even did the above part correctly, but to find the moment I'm a bit lost and my don't seem to have much in my notes about this...

You can always find discussions and examples of how to calculate the moment on the web.
I think the next step is using cross product, but I'm a bit lost as to which arm to take to find moment about A...

If I use rBA I get:

MA = rBA x F = 6579.44i - 4660.44j - 4934.56k

WELP! Need help!

Cheers LB
See above. Remember, the problem asks for the magnitude of the moment, so don't forget that!

So I need to use rBC instead?

LeftBrain said:
So I need to use rBC instead?
No, you need to use the r-vector which connects point A to the end of the rope pulling on the end of bar AB.

Remember, calculating a Moment requires a Force and some kind of Distance between the force and the axis of rotation caused by the moment.

Related to Find Moment Around A with 3D Vectors: B & C

What is the formula for finding the moment around point A with 3D vectors B & C?

The formula for finding the moment around point A with 3D vectors B & C is M = r x F, where M is the moment, r is the position vector from point A to any point on the line of action of the force, and F is the force vector.

How do I determine the direction of the moment vector?

The direction of the moment vector is determined by the right-hand rule. Place your fingers in the direction of the force vector, and then curl your fingers towards the direction of the position vector. Your thumb will point in the direction of the moment vector.

Can I use 2D vectors to find the moment around point A?

No, 2D vectors only have two components (x and y), while 3D vectors have three components (x, y, and z). In order to accurately calculate the moment around point A, you need to take into account all three dimensions.

What units are used for the moment around point A?

The units for the moment around point A are newton-meters (N*m) in the SI system, and pound-feet (lb*ft) in the US customary system.

What is the physical significance of the moment around point A?

The moment around point A represents the tendency of a force to rotate an object around a fixed point. It is a measure of the strength of the force and the distance from the point of rotation.