Vector Equation for Force Between Electric Dipoles

In summary, the conversation discusses the force between two dipoles with arbitrary direction to each other. The force is given by F=-\nabla W_D, where W_D is the energy between the dipoles, defined as W_D=-p \cdot E. Using the vector identity \nabla (a \cdot b)=(a \cdot \nabla)b+(b \cdot \nabla)a+a×(\nabla × b)+b×(\nabla × a), the force can be written as F=(p \cdot \nabla)E+(E \cdot p)\nabla. However, since E×(\nabla ×p)=(E \cdot p)\
Xyius
(All the variables are vectors, I just didn't feel like fumbling around with the LateX code to make them vectors. Its late and I'm tired a lazy!)

Homework Statement

(This is paraphrased)
There are two dipoles with arbitrary direction to each other. You know the energy between the dipoles is..

[tex]W_D=-p \cdot E[/tex]

What is the force between them? [itex]F_{1,2}[/itex]

Homework Equations

Force:
[tex]F=-\nabla W_D[/tex]

Electric Field of a Dipole:
[tex]E=\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0 r^3}[3p \cdot a_r-p][/tex]

a_r is the unit vector from p1 to p2.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the following vector identity..
[tex]\nabla (a \cdot b)=(a \cdot \nabla)b+(b \cdot \nabla)a+a×(\nabla × b)+b×(\nabla × a)[/tex]

[tex]-\nabla (-p \cdot E)=\nabla (p \cdot E)=(p \cdot \nabla)E+(E \cdot \nabla)p+p×(\nabla × E)+E×(\nabla ×p)[/tex]

So I know [itex] \nabla × E =0 [/itex] and [itex]E×(\nabla ×p)=(E \cdot p)\nabla-(E \cdot \nabla)p[/itex]

So plugging these in, I get.

[tex]F=(p \cdot \nabla)E+(E \cdot p)\nabla[/tex]

The prof gives the answer as, [tex]F=(p \cdot \nabla)E[/tex]

So that means [itex](E \cdot p)\nabla=0[/itex] But I cannot figure out why.

Physics news on Phys.org
Xyius said:
Its late and I'm tired a lazy!

Sounds French.:-p

[itex]E×(\nabla ×p)=(E \cdot p)\nabla-(E \cdot \nabla)p[/itex]

A vector differential operator does not a vector make. You cannot use the familiar BAC-CAB identity when one of the operands is not really a vector. Instead, what would you expect the curl of a point dipole to be?

gabbagabbahey said:
A vector differential operator does not a vector make. You cannot use the familiar BAC-CAB identity when one of the operands is not really a vector. Instead, what would you expect the curl of a point dipole to be?

Hmm... I think I would expect it to be zero. But I am not sure. :\

Related to Vector Equation for Force Between Electric Dipoles

1. What is a vector equation for force between electric dipoles?

A vector equation for force between electric dipoles describes the force that acts between two electric dipoles. It takes into account the magnitude and direction of the dipoles, as well as the distance between them.

2. How is a vector equation for force between electric dipoles calculated?

The vector equation for force between electric dipoles is calculated by multiplying the product of the two dipole moments by the inverse of the square of the distance between them, and then multiplying by a unit vector that points from one dipole to the other.

3. What are the units for the vector equation for force between electric dipoles?

The units for the vector equation for force between electric dipoles are newtons (N) for force, coulomb-meters squared (Cm^2) for dipole moments, and meters (m) for distance.

4. Is the vector equation for force between electric dipoles affected by the orientation of the dipoles?

Yes, the vector equation for force between electric dipoles is affected by the orientation of the dipoles. The force is strongest when the dipoles are aligned and weakest when they are anti-aligned.

5. How is the vector equation for force between electric dipoles related to Coulomb's Law?

The vector equation for force between electric dipoles is a more complex version of Coulomb's Law, which only takes into account point charges. The vector equation takes into account the dipole moments and the orientation of the dipoles, making it a more accurate representation of the force between two dipoles.