Vector Divergence in Mathematica

In summary, the conversation is about creating a manipulate/interactive box to show the vector divergence of an E-field from a sphere using Mathematica. The person asking for help is new to Mathematica and is looking for pointers. The expert suggests using StreamPlot and VectorPlot, and also shares an example they have created in two dimensions. The person asking for help expresses gratitude for the helpful response.
mateomy
I'm trying to make a little manipulate/interactive box that shows the vector divergence of the E-field coming from a sphere. I have no idea how to start as I'm really new to Mathematica. Does anyone have any pointers? I can't find anything particularly helpful on the Wolfram reference or Demonstrations site. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
mateomy said:
I'm trying to make a little manipulate/interactive box that shows the vector divergence of the E-field coming from a sphere. I have no idea how to start as I'm really new to Mathematica. Does anyone have any pointers? I can't find anything particularly helpful on the Wolfram reference or Demonstrations site. Thanks.

I'm no expert at Mathematica, but I've used StreamPlot and VectorPlot to create vector fields in two dimensions. I've never tried it in 3D, although there is a VectorPlot3D command. Anyway, I've attached the example I did.

Attachments

• DryLab4Manipulate.nb
    4.9 KB · Views: 428
Thank you, very helpful.

Related to Vector Divergence in Mathematica

1. What is vector divergence in Mathematica?

Vector divergence is a mathematical operation used to measure the rate at which a vector field diverges or converges at a particular point in space. In simpler terms, it is a measure of how much a vector field is spreading out or coming together at a given point.

2. How is vector divergence calculated in Mathematica?

In Mathematica, the vector divergence is calculated using the function "Div" or "Divergence". This function takes in a vector field as input and returns a scalar field representing the divergence values at each point in the vector field.

3. What is the significance of vector divergence in Mathematica?

The vector divergence has many applications in physics and engineering, particularly in the study of fluid flow and electromagnetic fields. It can help in understanding the behavior of a vector field and can be used to solve various differential equations.

4. Can vector divergence be visualized in Mathematica?

Yes, vector divergence can be visualized in Mathematica using the "VectorPlot" function. This function creates a plot of the vector field with the divergence values represented by the length and direction of the arrows at each point.

5. Are there any limitations to using vector divergence in Mathematica?

One limitation is that vector divergence can only be calculated for vector fields in three-dimensional space. Additionally, it may not be suitable for highly complex vector fields or those with discontinuities, as it assumes continuous differentiability of the vector field.